1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Da vinci painting

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by tweeby, Nov 16, 2017.

1. tweeby

tweeby Banned

So the Da vinci painting sells for half a billion dollars, just makes you wonder what the mona lisa is worth, apparently it is priceless. I remember seeing at the louvre and thinking 'for its size it is pretty unremarkable' considering its hype.

What do you think?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  2. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

I look at art for its beauty, not for its history or who painted it. The Mona Lisa was famous because Napolean owned it, and it was painted by Da Vinci himself. It's an intriguing art piece, and that's why I like it.

But if Da Vinci threw a paint-filled balloon at a canvas and tried to sell it for $450 million, I wouldn't buy it. I wouldn't even buy it for $450. Not even if Napolean had it hanging in his bedroom. That's because I don't see the beauty in that.

3. tweeby

tweeby Banned

I'm sure you'd buy a Da Vinci for $450. I sure would. ;)

I find it mind boggling for a piece of art to be valued at half a billion. I mean, I get it, it's priceless, can never be replaced if destroyed (well copied at least) but it's mind boggling monetary worth.

Perhaps nothing for the likes of Bill Gates but still.

MLMVSS likes this.
  4. tweeby

tweeby Banned

I don't know perhaps I'm reading too much Dan Brown, but the Da Vinci is intriguing AF, and all the secret messages apparently conveyed in his work.

5. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

Too much paper money sloshing around the world today... all created out of thin air from some poor sod signing on the bottom line. Start preparing for the next bust.

PS. Dan Brown will turn your brain to mush.

Millenial likes this.
  6. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

What's an alternative solution to the petrodollar? The US dollar wouldn't survive another gold standard at this point.

tweeby likes this.
  7. tweeby

tweeby Banned

Crypto currency heh!

MLMVSS likes this.
  8. Buzz Lightyear

Buzz Lightyear Fapstronaut

The problem with our currencies are that they are debt-fueled. All this does is push up assets prices as more money is borrowed to chase them. Asset price inflation. This is a very dangerous game because of the debt generated. At some point it stalls out, and we get another crash.

If they can get inflation to kick in again that will save the economy... but will kill the poor savers. It really is a nasty system we live in. What's required is responsible and regulated [yes, more government please] banking system.

MLMVSS likes this.
  9. Mona Lisa's kinda cute. I wonderin' how many digits in her phone number tho.