1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Cold Showers?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, May 12, 2017.

1. Are cold showers actually helpful in the long run? I just took one and feel physically and mentally drained. Maybe it's doing the trick. Anyone who's been doing it for a long time see any benefits?

2. LavaMe

LavaMe Fapstronaut

I've been doing them for a couple of years. None of the benefits has been overwhelming, but they are still benefits. I think my skin is better, not that I care very much. But it has made my face produce less grease. This probably would have been awesome when I was a teenager.

For me the primary benefit is I do find it very relaxing. I find it makes me both alert and calm. It is sort of like how tea is for me. It makes me feel like I have energy but a well controlled energy. Afterwards I could go do something active or go to sleep.

I also always feel like I've accomplished something. Taking a shower isn't a big accomplishment but it is something positive. I fought through it even if I didn't want to take it. So even if the rest of the day was crap at least I took my cold shower.

They never make me feel drained. Maybe you were already worn out? Or maybe they aren't as beneficial for you. I'd keep trying just to see.

LivinginRecovery likes this.
  3. They should wake you up more, not drain you. I take one first thing in the morning everyday, helps me wake up better. It should have benefits, mostly mental benefits. Your hair and skin should get better. I have not used shampoo for ages and I don't need to. My hair no longer gets greasy.

4. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Cold showers? No thanks.

5. Bearish

Bearish Fapstronaut

Personally, I think its primary value is to shock you out of the desire for PMO. Any unpleasant physical sensation would probably do the same. Eat an extremely hot pepper. Better, cut one up with your bare hands, and then touch your dick (but not your eyes!). I'll bet THAT would kill the desire pretty quickly!

6. Bearish

Bearish Fapstronaut

But I don't have ANY experience like THAT... ;-)

7. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

I feel like crap and so lazy after one. Im thinking of to stop taking them.
    Speeding up puberty isnt a good thing in itself whatsoever.

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. LivinginRecovery

LivinginRecovery Fapstronaut

In the last week I have been having cold baths and they really wake me up and I feel invigorated like nothing else. They're also great for fat loss (the body wants to retain its core temperature of 98.6 degrees and so will burn into fat deposits to do that so it's best to take one before you have eaten). I only stay in there for 5 minutes. 4 minutes just sitting in there and 1 minute submerged so the water is covering my body up to my neck. There's nothing mentally or physically draining about them. Quite the opposite in fact. Give them a go. Tell us what you think.

9. Just took my second one and feel ALOT better. Not drained pretty energetic and also feel some pride at my self control to do it again even though I didn't want to. Decided to meditate for 10 minutes right after. Definitely gonna stick with it.

LavaMe likes this.
  10. m.coming.back

m.coming.back Fapstronaut

completely true, I had this experience when I was teen ager, running at morning then swimming in small lake everyday in summer ( it was very cold at the morning ).

zerototheflesh likes this.
  11. Lol nofap sped up my puberty. Stop taking them then.

12. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

What does that suppose to mean? Why is it such a good thing to speed up puberty? Whats it suppose to mean, Are you actually 19 years old?

13. I Free I

I Free I Guest

Cold showers have helped me along my journey , I take 1-2 cold showers everyday . Research the benefits of taking cold showers .

Deleted Account likes this.
  14. Oh I meant if cold showers make you feel like that you should probably stop taking them. I didn't say speeding up puberty is a good thing but nofap has made me mature at a quicker rate. Now that I think about it nofap has normalized my rate of growth. And no I'm not 19 years old I am 14. Where did I say I was 19?

15. Also I'm sorry if I sounded angry.

16. I'm not sure if there are any actual changes in testosterone from cold showers, but they are great at waking you up in the morning and making you feel invigorated. There are also some skin benefits from what I've read due to pores closing, but that is just in comparison to using hot water.

A good compromise is that if you have a shower in the mornings, start the shower of cold, and after how many ever seconds you deem fit, you can just turn it back to normal. That wakes you up just as much IMO. You can also just blast cold water in the middle of the shower for a few seconds then go straight back to warmth. It is really up to you, but don't feel a need to do them if you don't feel any benefits from them, or if they make you tired :)

17. You summed that up quite well. Couldn't agree with what you said more.

18. a1c3.77z

a1c3.77z Fapstronaut

I took a couple of cold showers and they made me feel good afterwards but then I got a cold which was crap so I'm not going o take them very often.

19. IggyIshness

IggyIshness Fapstronaut

No your 14 year old in a 19 year olds body, Because you 'matured' at a quicker rate?
    NoFap never made me mature at a quicker rate.

20. Jeez not to that extent but I have a picture of myself around a year a go and comparing that to my current self there is a huge difference. I believe that sleeping more, lifting weights and cleaning up my diet increased my production of anabolic hormones in my body thus making me look more like a man. What Im about to say is a combination of logic and pseudoscience but it is somethi to think about:

Since we know that the brain can't distinguish between masturbation and real sex although the brain and body respond differently to sex. When you are constantly fapping your brain thinks that there is no need to change anything because it thinks it is making all these women pregnant. When you abstain your brain thinks 'oh shit! something isn't working, we need to produce more androgen and hormones that increase our confidence and drive to get a women' Plenty of people say quitting PMO has made them more masculine but anyway it's just something to think about.

Alk346 and Awakeatlast like this.