Blade Runner discussion, is Deckard a replicant?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Uncomfortably Numb

Uncomfortably Numb Fapstronaut

I love my sci-fi and horror but...
    Am I the only person that doesn't get the hype around Blade Runner????

AngelofDarkness likes this.
  2. I agree that the movie isn't particularly exciting plot-wise, it actually received mixed reviews from critics when it was first released and slowly gained a cult-following by fans. I personally appreciate it for its visuals and soundtrack, but it definitely took a few viewings for the movie to grow on me.

May I ask, what kind of sci-fi movies do you like?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2018
  3. I couldn't spot a clone, given that it's a biological copy of another human being, not an artificial one. Artificial "emotions" can never be human emotions and therefore can never be a clone or copy of human emotions. That was my point about the message of the movie, if the movie is asking whether artificial emotions are less valid than human emotions, then that question is flawed, because emotions can only be produced and felt by humans. I also think human emotions, falling in love for example, are way too complex to ever be able to replicate them artificially, at least replicate them convincingly, and more importantly, not only replicate them but like said, actually feel them, how can an artificially created person ever be able to feel? That's how the novel differs from the movie, because it illustrates empathy as a defining trait for being human and despite androids looking just like humans (clones) and trying to mimic empathy, they simply inherently lack human empathy which sets them apart from the real humans in the novel. The movie gave the replicants empathy which I think is fantasy, not science fiction, although I can't foresee the future of course.

4. HereAndThere

HereAndThere Fapstronaut

I can imagine how "real human beings" would be pretty upset if artificial beings "emotions" would be given same validity as theirs. Just the idea of it is insulting in a way. I didnt read the novel. Every topic you touched on is worthy of discussion and not resolved in any practical sense.

5. Uncomfortably Numb

Uncomfortably Numb Fapstronaut

Of course you may AngelofDarkness…

Those that make me think;
    Interstellar
    Inception
    The Matrix
    Arrival
    The Edge of Tomorrow
    Source Code
    Her

Those that combine sci fi with horror;
    Alien
    Moon
    I Am Legend
    District 9
    The Terminator

Do any of these resonate with you?

6. Queen_Of_Hearts_13

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 Fapstronaut

The movie sucks royally compared to the book. Imwe read the book in my technology and culture class and watched the movie after and Deckard is not, he is human and he uses a mood organ to regulate his moods and he is obsessed with buying a real animal as that is a sign of connection to humanity. I cant get into detail at the moment as I'm on the train home but the movie is very superficial compared to the book I suggest reading the book to anyone who hasnt!

7. Great choice of movies, I like all of them!

Uncomfortably Numb likes this.
  8. Thanks for your input, AnonymousAnna! I can definitely see that the movie didn't put much effort into being faithful to the source material. The more I reflect on how the movie differs from the novel, the more I'm curious to see for myself. I will add the novel next to my reading list.

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 likes this.