Being less/non competitive

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Nov 23, 2017.

1. My family is very competitive. You can't do anything without it being a competition. When I was a child I couldn't be anything with family members just for fun. It was always a competition...

As a result in life I was always a competitive person especially in sports. I played in a lot of sports teams as a kid and competed at national level in some as a teenager and one as an adult.

As I get older I realise more how pointless and unnecessary being competitive is. It's just an unnecessary stressor to life and in reality what are you really achieving?

I suppose when you have given your all for a prolonged period at a ton of stuff you can turn your back on it with no regrets. But almost all "hobbies" have a competitive element and edge too them. Even if people do stuff in groups there ends up being a hierarchy and competitive element in my experience. Maybe it's something to do with the culture here? But I reckon it's probably the same everywhere. People are competitive about all sort of stuff in life. People even pick friends on stuff like looks and appearance.

I think the key to unlocking happiness may be letting all competitiveness go in all aspects of life. Along with having zero shallowness (this is a plague in society, so many people are shallow). I expect people to be hygienic and genuinely friendly and polite. Those are my only requirements for people from now on. If they aren't those things I want nothing to do with them and that includes family.

If you aren't earning as much as you want then try to get a rise. But work within your own limits and don't make yourself stresses/ill over getting a promotion. I'm happy with where I am with my career and maybe that's why I can take this view too.

Any thoughts?

2. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Fapstronaut

I agree that people are shallow, but being competitive isn't necessarily unhealthy. Being competitive to one up others is unhealthy, however doing it for your own goals and dreams in order to achieve something you want then it is a good thing. Instead of focusing on beating other people to achieve greatness, it's more important to focus on beating the one person who can stop you... yourself. “Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self-satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to become the best that you are capable of becoming.” John Wooden

-
    TheBigBadWolf

3. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Runtilmylegsdropoff Fapstronaut

Dude, life is a competition. Even down to every sperm fighting to fertilize the ovum.

4. Runtilmylegsdropoff

Sometimes, life comes at you so fast that you may be called upon to do something that you naturally don't want to do. Like for example fighting off an adversary trying to hurt one of your loved ones.

5. Runtilmylegsdropoff

So the way I see competition is that if that day should come, (and I hope it never does), I will fight to the death someone trying to hurt the ones that I love.

6. houndie

houndie Fapstronaut

That is eerily specific, for two posts in a row. Did something happen?

Competitiveness is like stress - too much and too mindless competitiveness will be harmful, but a certain degree will help to focus.

I kind of have a problem with too little competitiveness. Which kind of makes me lax. Having to compete with people you respect and consider equal to you gives a context of the degree how much you have to overcome yourself as well. I don't conseptualise my struggles that way, but if I did, I'd probably achieve more.

Runtilmylegsdropoff likes this.
  7. I everything you said apart from the quote, as I feel the quote implies doing it for others. Maybe it's not and means being the best you can be is just about what you want and not being shallow, narcissistic, trying to one up or impress others etc at all. So aren't you really agreeing with me? If it's just for yourself it's not for the sake of competition, then it isn't competitive. Think that makes sense and by your post I think you agree.

8. What do you mean? No nothing specific happened.

Yes it's basically stress. Better to be lax than stressed at the end of the day lol, just keeping it real here. As long as you are making an ok living.

9. TheBigBadWolf

TheBigBadWolf Fapstronaut

Well when you say this...
    I thought you meant even in a situation where your career, or passion is to compete with others(sports, business, etc.) then you would need to abstain from things like that. I understand what you are saying now, and I definitely agree.