Becoming the writer I want to be

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Anakin66, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Made it up to 1500 words in the article and wrote a new haiku this morning. I'm hoping to start work on Chapter 2 this week as well.

GottaBFree and AtomicTango like this.
  2. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Care to post the haiku?

aspiringwriter1997 likes this.
  3. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Keep on keeping on. Not getting drained is the only way to succeed in the long run.

AtomicTango likes this.
  4. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

I procrastinated writing over the weekend. Tonight I finally finished the chapter that bridges it all together.

I'll continue to treat this as a sprint to the end. If I get through the rewrites on the next 10k words that takes me to what I consider the 1/2 way point. The date I've picked in early March to start querying is a crazy stretch at this point, but I'm still shooting for it.
    ----
    Random note - I had a dream last night I got a reply from my 1st query. It was an email that said one word. "Strikeout." I was confused by the weird rejection, because in the dream I as fully convinced the book was great. Then in the dream I gave myself a peptalk about how it was great to get a reply.

I reread my query letter and first 10 pages in the dream and they were full of blunders. I decided to spend all my time exclusivly fixing those pages lol.

Sidenote - when I woke up I had to Google the agent from my dream. I saw him online months ago. It was a scammer trying to find suckers to pay for editing services. Bad choice for a 1st query target dream self!!! Lol.

AtomicTango likes this.
  5. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Agreed, I think having two weeks per chapter is the best way to accomplish this. Its almost like gaming my own brain, as the awareness of having that extra time makes me feel less rushed even if I'm almost never going to need it.

GottaBFree likes this.
  6. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

745 words today. A decent total considering today I did not have the full session to work.

7. I can if you want me to.

I'm 1800 words into my current article. Gonna finish it up this week and then spend next week trying to write haikus and working on Chapter 2 (3) of my novel.

8. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Do it!

9. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Go on.... Lol

AtomicTango likes this.
  10. Now remember that I've not had a chance to edit this just yet (and plus I'll be going back through my previous batch of haikus soon because there's one I'm gonna get rid of since it's not well written, maybe two?)

delicate snowflakes
    no two intricate designs
    are ever the same

11. Thanks for checking in . Just been a rough few weeks and so over just failing. I don't know what to do .

12. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I like it, good work!

13. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

We've all been there my friend. Make sure to stay busy and remember your reasons for continuing, dont let yourself fall into a negativity spiral.

Henryforward and GottaBFree like this.
  14. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I'm always interested when I read about people having dreams that specifically relate to their real lives. Mine only ever tangentially relate and most are utter lunacy.

Henryforward and GottaBFree like this.
  15. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

I'm 40/59 pages through the second big block.

When it's done I'll have about 37k words done and ready. Added to the second half, the MS only has 75k words. I think the final draft will be complete at 80k.

AtomicTango and Henryforward like this.
  16. Yea man that's important. Thanks. I'll be back soon .

17. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

Looking forward to it!

Henryforward likes this.
  18. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

19. AtomicTango

AtomicTango Fapstronaut

I've got it in my head that I want to rewrite an earlier novella I wrote to bring it up to a higher standard. If only I could clone myself so I could work on all my ideas at the same time. Not enough hours in the day, as they say.

20. GottaBFree

GottaBFree Fapstronaut

Worked all day and didn't feel like waking up early.

I got home and sunk 2.5 hours down the rabbit hole of deciding who to query. There are tons of databases online, but none orginize what I want to know in one place.

I'm going to try to do 30 minutes a day on that project.

----

I finished the block. I'm now about1/2 done with the book edit. The second half starts in rougher draft form, but I don't think I need to reorder events.

I lost my plot note cards so I'm going to do the synopsis for the book now. That will kill two birds with one stone.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2021
    AtomicTango likes this.