1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are there any celebrated "plus size" male models?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by True-Self, Sep 14, 2017.

1. True-Self

True-Self Fapstronaut

I used to get GQ magazine which is made up of a shit ton of ads for male fashion. I don't recall ever seeing any "husky" male models.

I know there are female plus size models why no male ones?

2. that's a good question. You maybe onto something here.

3. Here's a TEDx Talk by a 'plus size' model (might contain triggers for some).

4. There are male ones. Simply google "plus size male models" and voila!

5. TheLoneDanger

TheLoneDanger Fapstronaut

The reason you don't hear about celebrated plus-sized male models is because there's just not as much interest. And that's ok. Why assume there should be? As soon as we start acknowledging the fact that every single aspect of humanity (in this case, preferences of the aesthetics of men vs women) isn't equal in every way, these questions start to answer themselves.

6. True-Self

True-Self Fapstronaut

Well, part of the reason that "plus size" female models are celebrated is because they promote body diversity. This seems like it should be universally promoted (not only for women). I assumed that there were no celebrated male plus models but I was hoping I was wrong.

Hopefulgirl likes this.
  7. av_2905

av_2905 Guest

Probably because we have enough brains to realize that being big and round isn't something to be celebrated.

RetroMike and Deleted Account like this.
  8. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

Models being "celebrated" isn't a thing to begin with. Doesn't matter if they're skinny or plus size.

9. Third_Eye

Third_Eye Guest

Not all women are bad, and not all men are bad. It's like both genders have idiots in them, lol

10. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

Googled. Besides not being well known I didn't see a single one that was grotesquely fat. They are just big guys some of them just tall.

11. How do you know they're not well known in the fashion industry? You don't have to be grotesquely fat to qualify as obese since 25%+ body fat is considered obses for men.
    IMG_0648.JPG

12. JakeWoods

JakeWoods Fapstronaut

This is where double standards come in.

It's completly okay to insult a man or call him unattractive because he's unhealthy and overweight. Yet as soon as you say that a woman is unattractive because she is unhealthy and overweight. It's "body shaming"... Then they have to go and do a campaign on women's rights... but fuck the men. They don't matter and apparently don't have feelings.

Similar situation.
    If a man slaps a girls ass at work (even just playing around) it's sexual harassment and is taken very seriously. Switch the genders around. If a woman slaps a mans ass and he doesn't like it. Tough shit. Because apparently it's not harrassment.

I personally don't care. I just think it's ridiculous.

Got to Overcome likes this.
  13. Themadfapper

Themadfapper Fapstronaut

Ever go to a nude beach? It may change your opinion about things. Most guys don't wear super flattering clothes, corsets, and other items to hide one's true appearance.

Fact is women are softer and due to this their bodies hang and droop more and look even more unpleasant when out of shape and flabby. JMO

14. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

There's a BS philosophy held by some in our culture that discrimination and harassment can only happen to people in a protected class, usually a minority. According to them, it is therefore impossible for a black person to be racist, or for a woman to be sexist, or for a straight man to be a victim of sexual harassment. Completely ridiculous.

I worked a few seasons on a TV show for a major network, and as part of our employment, we were required as a crew to attend a seminar on sexual harassment. We were told that only those in protected classes could be victims of sexual harassment. So if you're a single woman who's being incessantly hit on by a sleazy co-worker, you have every right to call HR and report him. I raised my hand:

"Well, what if you're a man, and you're getting sexually suggestive comments from a female co-worker which you don't appreciate because you're married? Is being a married man not one of the protected classes?"

The legal advisor actually said, "well, technically, no, it isn't." The collective groan in the audience was amazing.

15. SuperFan

SuperFan Fapstronaut

I imagine it has a lot to do with the nature of men and women.

In the aggregate, men objectify women far more often and to a greater degree than women objectify men. That really shouldn't be so surprising, since we're wired that way. We see beautiful women with average-looking men all the time. But you rarely see good-looking men with average women. Women value confidence, sense of humor, ambition, success, intelligence, character and charisma just as much as they do 'body type'. Men, on the other hand? Hell, we tend to be drawn toward body types more than all those other traits combined.

This creates a sensitive environment for women. Mainstream culture (and men) have given women good reason to be far more self-conscious of their bodies than men. With men, we can get our sense of worth and value from all those items mentioned in the previous paragraph (not that we should, mind you--but we can). With women--as far as pop culture is concerned--they can basically get their sense of worth from their fitness and beauty, and that's about it.

Women deserve to have the standards of beauty expanded a bit.

noexcuses and Third_Eye like this.
  16. True-Self

True-Self Fapstronaut

Yeah I think you nailed it with this part.

It seems like this idea is especially true for mainstream music. A woman has to be more than just incredibly musically talented. If she is going to be really successful it seems to be a requirement that she is beautiful as well. This requirement doesn't seem to be as strict for male artists.

17. Not that I heard of, you tell a woman she's fat and it's "fat shaming", now ask her if she'd be with a fat guy and see how that goes.

Cough! Hypocrite! Cough!

JakeWoods likes this.
  18. MarinoBigFan1984

MarinoBigFan1984 Fapstronaut