1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

alternatives

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by kumarach, Jun 1, 2023.

1. kumarach

kumarach Fapstronaut

i realized something today. I've been ignoring myself a lot. like working on myself and all. I've literally not worked on myself since my breakup. I'm the kind of person who loves to read books or should i say used to love reading books. what happened subsequently was that i left the habit for a person. i started devoting that time i had to a person and stopped it all together.

i want to find myself again and feel happy with myself and a few good habits i wanna leave this deep dark rut in my mind where i think about the problems that happened in the past. being this down definitely has had it's effects when i look at it.

my appetite has died down i don't feel like socializing or should i say i feel a bit afraid to do so. I feel like I'd end up hurting somehow with my own habits and overall the personality.

books used to help me escape these depressive episodes and the bad habit of looking back and overthinking. leaving that habit has led me to be really miserable and kinda stupid I guess...

3 days back i thought of 'chilling' and i watched 3 movies back to back and spent about 7 hrs on that whereas when i take up a book i hardly spend 30 minutes before i start thinking about how i'm WASTING TIME ......

tazmaniac and nonanino like this.
  2. SeedOilRemover

SeedOilRemover New Fapstronaut

Reading is absolutely not a waste of time, as long as you are doing it intentionally i.e. with the aim to learn something, become a better writer/thinker/speaker ect. What kind of books are you 'wasting time' with?
    I love reading philosophy, and most of the great old works are available for free.

tazmaniac likes this.
  3. kumarach

kumarach Fapstronaut

i read on a strategy mostly old classics related to that

4. tazmaniac

tazmaniac Fapstronaut

Watching movies probably activates or deactivates an area of the brain which makes it easier to become a “vegetable on the sofa” i.e. couch potato I enjoy reading outside was reading while going for a stroll in nature even yesterday must keep that up a nice small pocket sized book easy to hold on the move

I suppose watching mindfully with full awareness can relax you but I think studies show reading does that better plus you can learn more by reading

5. fredisthebes

fredisthebes Fapstronaut

I prefer to watch a movie than TV (or even, Internet) as there is an end point, worst case i have 'wasted' couple of hours then its over and i can do something else. I find it easy to waste a whole day and/or stay up late with Tv or Internet.

Especially stick with reading late night, once you are tired enough you wont we able to concentrate any longer and youll know its time to sleep. Screens are hyper stimulating and will keep you up lobger than is natural.