1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on cold showers?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by melancholy king, Jan 7, 2016.

1. melancholy king

melancholy king Fapstronaut

I want to take cold showers, however I find it extremely discouraging, its the fear of getting sick and the lack of warmth that discourages me from it.

I just wonder if there are things that I can do to make it easier on me, ways that would make it less of a hurdle if you would. I have thought that perhaps just showering in lukewarm water, then gradually going down, will be more effective. What do y'all think?

2. I'm struggling with the same thing. I want to take cold showers but I can't afford to get sick.. It's freeeeeeeeeeeeezing down here and the heater at my house doesn't work :(

3. melancholy king

oh damn Lazarus, sorry to hear that, the good news is that it should start to get warm fairly soon. Its been a pretty mild winter all things considering.

4. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

For a long time I exercised a variation on purely cold showers- they are called 'James Bond Showers' I believe. I found them to be very effective. That is, you have your regular shower under hot water. After washing you turn off the water, and switch it to cold (as cold as it'll go). You then stand under the cold water for a predetermined period of time. I started with standing under there for 1 minute at a time (per shower), and progressively increased it to a period of 3 minutes. I found this to be a more practical way of utilising cold showers to help yourself in your reboot.

It is unlikely you will get sick via this method I believe. In fact, if you prepare well (ie you have a warm dry towel in a warm environment to dry yourself after), cold showers can strengthen your immune system. Only if you are already sick, or feel like you're getting a cold, should you refrain from the cold showers. But it's up to you what you do.

melancholy king likes this.
  5. melancholy king

James Bond showers? where the hell did that name come from?

That technique might help though, I mean the prolonged 5-10 minutes of freezing cold water is hard to bare, so withstanding a shorter interval might make it easier to get used to. Thanks NB.

NoBrainer likes this.
  6. the_grindel

the_grindel Fapstronaut

I started out doing what @NoBrainer described here. Then a couple of times I "forgot" to turn it cold and stayed warm the whole time.

I found that getting into the shower and turn the water on while you're standing underneath the showerhead works best for me. It gets you right into it. No avoiding, no rationalizing...

That's just what works for me though!

Play around with it and do what works best for you.

All the best @melancholy king!

-Grindel

7. Start with warm water , do your normal routine then keep turning the dial colder and colder. Thats it.! Don't think to much about it.
    I live in a cold state and take cold showers as well as started working outside. Gonna include them in mornings to because i have been getting up early to do something before work but still zombie mode.
    What i noticed is., if you think your gonna get sick and you get in the shower you will get sick., your setting yourself up from the beginning or going outside right away with nothing on your head, feet. The only times i take just a warm shower is if i am actually really sick or i feel like i taxed my nervous system a lot at the gym or work.
    Cold shower at least 5 times a week.
    I love them, just listen to your body.

melancholy king likes this.
  8. melancholy king

Thanks man! I do have good heating where I live, and right after I'm done showering I always dry myself off, and put on clothes (sweat pants and t-shirts mostly mind you) so I suppose I have nothing to worry about. I'm a worry wart, so anything that puts my fears to rest is great to hear.

9. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

What's your reason for wanting to take cold showers?

10. melancholy king

I have heard many benefits of cold showers, such as increased testosterone, more semen, shiny hair, etc. Plus its a good deterrent I think from relapses, so there you go.

11. Benefits wise

**Better skin
    granted i have bad genetics for acne, almost 27 but if i get a few new zits they don't stick around very long and I don't use any creams either.
    If you have fairly good skin already. This is better than any cream on the market.

***Better Hair
    What I do is wash my hair every other day with baking soda., and once a week with shampoo .
    My reasoning behind this is shampoo dries your hair out.
    Hot water dries your hair out.
    Shampoo is full of chemicals.
    All chemicals these days lower testosterone.
    Have you noticed how sometimes your hair looks really awesome towards the night time than in the morning its really greasy. So you take a shower and use a lot of shampoo. When you use a lot if shampoo what is happening is your rinsing all the oils out. Your body goes into over drive and tries to produce a ton because you wash to much out it out.
    (Same thing with skin )
    Once your hair becomes accustomed to this you will love it. It has some natural oils in it so i can kindof style it with out product.
    As far as dandruff I noticed a little once in a while.
    If you work a dirty greasy job. Maybe shampoo 3 times a week ect..
    Just experiment.Until you find what works for you.
    ****Better circulation.
    When you shower with hot water all the blood goes straight to your skin.
    When you shower with cold water the blood circulates more through your major organs.

If you have a sauna near by or you ever go to one most people sit there take a hot shower and go home.
    If you ever get the chance is. Drink a ton of water. Go in the sauna . Sweat it out long as you can., get out take a cold shower. Sit down relax drink more water..
    This is beneficial because all the blood circulates to skin then to the organs and back depending on how many rounds you do.
    You could do a contrast shower where you go back from hot to cold but its not the same cuz your not sweating a lot.
    *****Feel like a boss
    It's uncomfortable thats why we do it
    Who else does this noone, everyone is weak these days., if you can over come taking a ice cold shower once in a while and taking a skin burning bath from time to time. Your already ahead of everyone.

Now we live in trenches but soon we rise to the mountain.
    You guys are amazing.! !!!

12. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

Indeed. This a good way of getting used to them I believe. You don't actually need longer than about 4 minutes in the shower anyway, and you'll be speedy at washing yourself if you're desperate to get out of the cold water. ;)

13. Donquixote Doflamingo

Donquixote Doflamingo Fapstronaut

Haha!! That's exactly what I do!! Just feel the music brother!!! Step in to the beat!

14. recoome

recoome Fapstronaut

i often do the ginyu dance when i am in the shower

Hamartovi likes this.