1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Adapting to a philosophy.

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Ranger-, Sep 12, 2023.

1. Ranger-

Ranger- Fapstronaut

Hello guys,
    Adapting to a philosophy helped me a lot. Since I have adapted to the stoicism i have become stronger, I used to be lazy and I would give up easily in any hardship without trying. Now I meditate and exercise. I have become more calm in hard situations. I even bought a book about stoicism and it's called "The Daily Stoics". The book motivated me to become better person and helped me to become more wisdom. For 3 days I've been having very strong urges and I couldn't even exercise or meditate. While having the urges I remembered a quote:

“You have power over your mind – not external events. Realize this and you will have strength. -Marcus Aurelius

My hands are my hands if I don't want to PMO I wont, they are part of my body and I control my body with my mind. I sat in my chair and continued to do my job with the hellish urges.

Guys, try to adapt a philosophy it can help you in your journey, try to improve your wisdom. I don't say that you are dumb I am trying say that there is no limit for wisdom you can always learn a new things.

I tried to write this without any fails but English is not my mother language. I hope that this can motivate you in hard times.

rheinpfalz, doingmybest_ and Meshuga like this.
  2. Meshuga

Meshuga Fapstronaut

No fails, mukwano gwange. I don’t know anything but English, so the fact that I understand you at all is from your hard work.

Leaning into philosophy is one of the best things I think you can do. While I’m not foolish enough to say they are equally good or it doesn’t matter which one, just about anything is better than being stuck in an addictive cycle. Stoicism, Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, they all offer systems for gaining control over your life and finding meaning in the madness. Abstaining from addiction means trying to take something out, which creates a vacuum. Both nature and minds abhor a vacuum. Philosophy gives us something to replace the thoughts, something to think about and do, rather than something to avoid. When you focus on something, even if it’s to avoid it, you’re going to get closer to it. That’s how it works. Filling your life with abstaining from PMO keeps PMO close. Instead, you can work on filling your life with better things so that PMO no longer has room to exist.

3. I have recently been studying Stoicism myself. I like that the focus is on putting effort into things we can control in life, rather than fixating on our unavoidable misfortunes. There is a quiet freedom and power in this I feel.

MusicIsLife likes this.
  4. xuledywo

xuledywo Fapstronaut

Certainly! Embracing Stoicism has brought positive changes to my life. I've become more resilient and have adopted a routine of meditation and exercise. Reading "The Daily Stoics" has motivated personal growth. During strong urges, I remind myself of a Marcus Aurelius quote, emphasizing control over the mind. I encourage you to explore philosophies that resonate with you and remember that wisdom knows no bounds. Your English is great, and your message is motivating for others in challenging times.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023