A resume asset that rivals a degree?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by La Hire, Oct 26, 2015.

1. La Hire

La Hire Fapstronaut

I often hear, at least in terms of an average degree on a resume, that it doesn't necessarily demonstrate technical ability in a given area, but that it does demonstrate an ability to knuckle down and finish what for many is a nightmare, and go into debt for said nightmare. Hopefully it wasn't a nightmare, but in any case, you were able to make it through.

I was wondering what might be the equivalent in terms of things considered assets on a resume. What value would a person who abstains from PMO to the extent that not a single PMO thought lasts more than a few seconds in his mind before it is extinguished, essentially zero PMO. What are we talking here, an undergrad from Harvard? That was just a shot in the dark as I haven't the faintest idea what such an endeavor would entail, other than I know that some of their computer 101 courses involve programming ATM machines and elevator systems.

Or, would it be more like an average honorable discharge from the military after 4 years with no combat seen, and no distinguished awards, just average. You can handle basic responsibilities reliably, you have some skills, punctual, etc.

Provided you don't substitute 10 other destructive habits in place of PMO, it seems pretty clear that it would be an asset on any hypothetical resume that would have PMO stats listed on it. Just wondering what some others would think it to be equivalent to.

2. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

Interesting thread...

Assuming you have a relevant qualification for the job that you are applying to (doesn't have to be a degree), the number one thing that people look for on a resume is work experience. What experience have you had in your relevant field? Although firms nowadays have gone experience crazy, like wanting 25 year old interns with 30 years experience. :rolleyes:

It is not a good idea to tell anyone about qualities you have which could be perceived as undesirable. Criminal offences, previous addictions and even physical injuries are all undesirable, and with today's careers hiring platforms, you will most likely be screened out, meaning not even an actual person will read your resume. Therefore don't tell an HR person or any sort of hiring manager about your history with PMO, even if you've overcome it. It just isn't good etiquette. Unfortunately, for the most part- a company will hire you if you can sugarcoat your life and sell yourself.

3. La Hire

La Hire Fapstronaut

NoBrainer,

Thanks, that is a good clarification. I didn't really intend to put such a thing on a resume, but was just kind of going full-on hypothetical. I think I unconsciously equated a person who has never suffered a PMO addiction to one who has had one but has more or less conquered it. Perhaps there is quite a difference there, not sure what all the implications of that are. I suppose that the angle I was going at it was from what I have read here in terms of a new found life, where almost anything seems possible. People that have led relatively successful lives, they are functional, but have felt like they have been wearing a lead jacket since childhood. If they were relatively successful before, what can they do now that they aren't dealing with self-inflicted spiritual death?

Maybe it would require a hiring manager that is familiar with PMO that could appreciate such a hypothetical resume and consider you the crème of the crop, capable of who knows what. 'If he beat PMO, he can do anything!' type of appreciation.

Is it possible for a person to not go through a living hell in an attempt to conquer PMO? And if they did conquer it, doesn't that compare to some sort of 'degree-like pursuit'. Your reply made me think of former alcoholics, and that typically the image that comes to mind is not exactly all that impressive, given that many take up other habits like chain smoking, incessant coffee drinking, prescription drugs, and they have killed off so many brain cells that they are shells of their former selves in some respects. Still no doubt commendable, but practically speaking they may not be as able-bodied and minded as a former PMO addict. I am probably way off base here in some places, but just throwing some things up in the air that are coming to my mind having some experience around alcoholics, AA, etc. Also, I am pretty sure that alcoholics never technically become non-alcoholics, they live with that addiction for life and they consider themselves as recovering forever. This brings a new distinction to mind, where a modest use of alcohol can be considered normal, and nothing to be ashamed about, no level of PMO can be said to be in any way a good thing, but some level of M and O is probably arguably normal because everyone and their mother seems to be doing it. I no longer hold that view personally. I renounce all that PMO has taught me from day 1.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015