A deadly weapon for your fight against lust

For Fapstronauts who are disciples of Christ

1. How did Jesus fight temptation in the wilderness? (Matthew 4)
    He quoted scripture. I have found this to be an extremely effective technique. I memorized several passages which I can recite at any time to change the focus of my thoughts. I can say them fast or slow them down and contemplate the meaning of each word. Next thing you know you're in a completely different head space.

The passages I have memorized so far are:

Ephesians 4:17 to 5:21
    James 1
    Matthew 5:1-20
    Psalm 23
    Psalm 38

Maybe this can be helpful for you also. Has anyone had success with this technique? If you would like I could share the method I use to remember, it is simple and easy.

And after all, He says 'take up the sword of the Spirit which is the word of God'. Use it to cut through temptation.

2. Godswork

Godswork New Fapstronaut

I am new to the forum but I do believe Jesus is showing us how to battle temptation in Matthew 4. I have never used scripture when tempted. The urge is so strong in the moment the only thing i can think about is the sin. My mind is so far from scripture at that point.

3. Are you waiting until the moment of temptation to attempt to meditate on scripture? It is better to get into the habit of the "blessed man" of Psalm 1:

his delight is in the law of the Lord,
    And in His law he meditates day and night.

Then it will be easy to go to it in temptation, if it is right immediately there in your heart. Is the word of God your treasure, so that you are meditating on it all the time? Is wisdom more precious than rubies or gold to you? Proverbs 1 (and other chapters) tells us that if we do not seek wisdom like treasure and value her above all things then...

When distress and anguish come upon you
    Then they will call on me, but I will not answer;
    They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me

So then it would be no surprise if in temptation we draw our 'sword' (the word) and find our arms unskilled to wield it. We must train with it day in and day out