1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

250 yr old book on Evils of masturbation & cures

Discussion in 'Abstinence, Retention, and Sexual Transmutation' started by Rainbow Warrior, Mar 3, 2024.

1. Rainbow Warrior

Rainbow Warrior Temporarily Suspended

Hi Need some help if anyone knows how please advise?

I’ve found another rare book written in the years 1760 (17th century). 211 pages long in old English.

The evils of masturbation and treatment (onania)
    By Dr M Tissot
    https://iiif.wellcomecollection.org/pdf/b30534070

takes a while to load the book page please be patient.
    If anyone can find a modern translation of the book, please post the link here it would be a great help to the whole nofap community.

2. Itsuki

Itsuki Temporarily Suspended

From page 164 of section on nocturnal pollutions:

"What I said in the beginning of this section, with regard to the connection that subsists between dreams and such ideas as the soul has been occupied with in the day-time, serves to explain why masturbators are are so subject to nocturnal pollutions; their soul being all the day possessed with venereal ideas, represents to itself the same objects during the night and the lascivious dream is followed by an evacuation, which is always ready to be made when the organs have acquired a considerable degree of irritability."

It is so interesting that when this book was published 'mastubator' was a diagnosable disorder where as these days it seems that this is the status quo for men, atleast in USA.

3. Rainbow Warrior

nice.. Ive managed to download a modern translation of it for kindle it only cost £2.50/70 around $3. It’s very very very interesting to read that it can cause death and bent spines and etc would recommend you download it!

4. Rainbow Warrior

Yes thank you I have purchased it. What do you think of it?

5. Itsuki

I feel like if I had a son I would have him read certain chapters of this book when he starts puberty.

Rainbow Warrior and A W A K E like this.
  6. It's a good source of information from a time before the Rockefeller takeover of what is known as "medicine." In my opinion, Tissot was ahead of his time and countless people have surely benefited from his knowledge as a true physician. I am thankful for his work.

Per owned and controlled Wikipedia:
    On 1 April 1787, Napoleon Bonaparte wrote to Dr. Tissot complimenting him on spending his “days in treating humanity,” noting that his “reputation has reached even into the mountains of Corsica” and describing “the respect I have for your works…"

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2024
  7. legendsneverdie

legendsneverdie Fapstronaut

one of the most important books i read many years ago.

@Rainbow Warrior wdym you can’t reach 700 days again without fasting lol? all you need is to remind yourself of the horrors that happen if you masturbate as described in the book you shared! just remind yourself have it in your subconscious.

if you want to be a weak and pathetic individual then go ahead and pmo all you want. disaster awaits anyone who continues this habit which as the book says is a cause of countless diseases and issues. it’s really horrible i’d say worse than drugs since it’s not even frowned upon in todays society so people aren’t aware even of the harms

8. Itsuki

Does fasting help with urges?

9. UlyssesResists

UlyssesResists Fapstronaut

This is a really interesting book. I love the old English. These guys were no idiots. They understood a lot of biology, science, and also had a keener moral insight than we have today. And all this before electricity, computers, and all our advanced medicines which seem to cause more harm than good.

Itsuki and A W A K E like this.
  10. Modern "medicine" does cause more harm than good. This is especially the case when it is used for chronic, degenerative diseases.

Tissot is far from the only physician of past times who took up a position against masturbation and frequent ejaculation. There's another book, Brain Gain by Danavir Goswami, that has countless quotes from them as well as inventors, composers, so on and so forth.

11. UlyssesResists

Yea, that's what struck me as he didn't seem to be a puritan (not sure), but he seemed to be commenting on masturbation as a problem that society generally agreed was unhealthy, and destructive, if not immoral. Also, dreams of immoral sex with emissions were seen as pollutant to your soul. How far we fallen.

A W A K E likes this.
  12. Itsuki

The thing about google is you could search, "is it ok to masturbate," but how far would you have to delve until you found this resource or a similar response? With a search engine its like there is an essential "bias" towards media created during the digital age. For something like Tissot's book, it would first need to be transcribed into html before it could be scraped by the search engines, and by that point it is already behind all the other links that rise in the results the more they are clicked on. We have a wealth of information with the internet but it seems like timeless wisdom has been half lost, today's teenagers when they look up that question will majorly see results that say it is ok to do, even healthy. Word of mouth remains more relevant than what an algorithm can do.

born3 and A W A K E like this.
  13. Danavir Goswami seems very confident that nocturnal emissions are anything but normal; he states that they are often a result of consuming suggestive content. It means that people are lying to themselves and going on half-assed "streaks," wondering why it's not working. I forget whether or not Tissot had an opinion there. But yeah, it's funny when you think about how many guys here and on forums like r/semenretention think that they're somehow unavoidable.

14. This is the internet today: https://blog.mozilla.org/en/mozilla/we-need-more-than-deplatforming/

Google and Bing "amplify" so-called fACtUaL VOiCeS and, in turn, bury content that is not in line with what the establishment wants people to know and think. There is zero benefit to modern societies having strong men of character. That is the last thing they want. It's exactly what George Carlin talked about all those years ago.

"You know what they want? They want obedient workers. Obedient workers: people who are just smart enough to run the machines and do the paperwork and dumb enough to passively accept all these increasingly shittier jobs with the lower pay, the longer hours, the reduced benefits, the end of overtime and vanishing pension that disappears the minute you go to collect it. And now they're coming for your Social Security money. They want your fuckin' retirement money. They want it back so they can give it to their criminal friends on Wall Street."

15. Itsuki

From what I read Tissot said that if you are single nocturnal emissions are the healthiest form of release if they are few and far between. If someone is a masturbator that struggles with frequent emissions (like daily) he says this is the most difficult type of patient to cure.

16. Itsuki

In my opinion the whole issue goes beyond cooperate greed. Everything that is happening is exactly how they described what the next big war would be like post cold war. Disinformation, immigration, manufactured viruses, these are all tools used to weaken a country so that it will break when the time comes. No government in their right mind would have a border open like this, because it directly benefits the west's enemies. Its crazy.

17. UlyssesResists

I assume you know what Onanism is and it's Biblical roots. I'm not sure that passage is about MO, but more about birth control. Interesting that back then, everyone accepted that it was MO. It kind of shows that men have been struggling with sexual desire and Masturbation for years, but it's only been recently that we were told to accept it.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2024
  18. If Tissot really did state that, I have to agree more with Goswami. What he wrote about nocturnal emissions in his own book made a ton of sense to me. I'm going to have to revisit Diseases Caused By Masturbation.

Itsuki likes this.
  19. The enemies of the West are the enemies of the East but they're much more evil than that. They finance both sides of every war; they're doing it today and they've done it for centuries leading up to this. More so than anything, though, it's psychological and spiritual warfare.

Itsuki likes this.