1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

1 year rule

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by alexxxx, Feb 12, 2017.

1. alexxxx

alexxxx Fapstronaut

what do you guys think of the 1 year rule (of sobriety) before entering a serious/long-term relationship?

I've heard this from a few authorities (pastor and second-hand, from a guy's therapist).

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. PostiveChange1974

PostiveChange1974 Fapstronaut

I've heard different rules and ideas. In one regard, its like ending a relationship (with PMO).

The “How I Met Your Mother” theories
    Ted: Everyone has an opinion on how long it takes to recover from a breakup.
    Lily: Half the length of the relationship.
    Marshall: One week for every month you were together.
    Robin: Exactly 10,000 drinks, however long that takes.
    Barney: You can’t measure something like this in time; there’s a series of steps—from her bed to the front door. Bam! Out of there. Neeeeext!

If you are using this to judge others, I don't know that it will bring you more success or not. My guess, if you are using this to judge yourself, and you feel you honestly have arrived at a better place, this time might really work.

Just like in dating divorcee's or someone that has exited a relationship, there is no amount of time 1year/2years/etc, that will guarantee that the person is capable and ready to be a good partner.

Doesn't seem like life ever offers us certainties like that, so we just have to try, and when things start to go wrong, have the strength to pull away despite our feelings (either out of respect for the partner's happiness, or out of respect for our own).

But honestly if it was that easy, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

3. alexxxx

alexxxx Fapstronaut

that's really interesting and I hadn't thought of that. how long the "relationship" is with PMO could sometimes be a factor.
    also very true and important to keep in mind with all rules/guidelines. factors like the above (relationship time) could have an influence on recovery time, but also could be overcome and have no effect.