1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Netflix Swamp is Coming

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Millenial, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Millenial

Millenial Fapstronaut

Apparently Netflix is going to release 700 movies and TV shows in 2018. That's like 2 per day.

Does anyone else agree that we have enough TV to watch now?... Yes, there is plenty of choice but we don't need so much.

Nowadays I never meet anyone who watched what I watched the night before... kinda sad because before we all watched the same stuff, so had that in common.

2. Poseidon

Poseidon Fapstronaut

No! I’m always running out of interesting things to watch so the more content they release the better. Not everyone likes everything so the more variety of content they release, the more we can find movies and shows that appeal to everyone’s specific needs and tastes.

Millenial likes this.
  3. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

I don't want more stuff I want better stuff

4. Millenial

Millenial Fapstronaut

That's the problem.... There are some great shows on Netflix but loads and loads of crap too... they are going for quantity.

5. I’m thinking maybe less TV/movies. Less distraction.

6. The secret is to watch the shows you are interested in and not the ones you arent interested in.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. ^ he's right. This advice changed my life!

8. Gotham Outlaw

Gotham Outlaw Fapstronaut

Exactly. More shows like narcos and stranger things, less shit.

I'm waiting for the continental to show up. I heard it won't be out until 2019.

Mankrik likes this.
  9. John Silva

John Silva Fapstronaut

I heard about Netflix doing that personally during the year I have 16 shows that I follow weekly.

However with Netflix the one thing I like is that with most of the TV shows they release your able to see the entire season in one go if you want so it’s easier to watch more shows.

I do think at the end of the day you’ll only find 100 things you actually want to see and the rest you can skip.

Gotham Outlaw and Millenial like this.
  10. There's been plenty of times when I've gone on Netflix and spent about 30 minutes trying to decide what to watch and end getting so frustrated that I can't decide and I just end up turning it off. Lol!

I don't like these shows that give you the opportunity to binge on because I think they make us impatient. Everything is instant and if we're not careful we can end up thinking life should be like that. Homeland and Marcela are my favourite shows at the moment and a part of wishes I could binge on them, but I'm glad that it's not an option since I would spend so much time watching them. I have to be patient and wait for the next show every week.

Millenial likes this.
  11. pezzer

pezzer Fapstronaut

Yeahh, i dont like a lotta things on Netflix, i guess i have a specific taste when i actually go to watch something. I mean you have to be interested in it thats for sure, rarely do i find a show that i will stick with til the end, i guess i just can't follow a story that long. Expedition happiness was a great documentary i watched recently on there, i like stuff like that but they barely ever put things like that on Netflix, there's a documentary on minimalism on there too i believe and cowspiracy about a vegan lifestyle, into the wild is great, but most of that stuff has been on there for ages. If i was paying for it myself i would've probably cancelled the subscription by now though so i guess i can't complain if im getting it for free:rolleyes:

12. Peace467

Peace467 Fapstronaut

Hey
    I feel you with the browsing trying to find something to watch!

We lost internet for 3 days and it was great, we just watched old films (actually we watched all the fast and furious films). It was almost freeing not having to deal with the internet!

Deleted Account and pezzer like this.
  13. Lord of the Ocean

Lord of the Ocean Fapstronaut

Totally no longer a Netflix user.

It seems the content I want these days are movies you cannot stream on there.

14. Kenzi

Kenzi Fapstronaut

Food for thought...
    The need for so much novelty is part of why most of us are here on NoFap now.
    Just saying.

15. I think the addiction to novelty has negatively affected the media world a LOT. As a writer, I empathize so much when people critique a show or movie for being similar to something else or for being unorginal. I just want to yell at these people "YOU write a movie, then!" I think people often don't realize how hard, or next to impossible, it is to continue creating original stuff indefinitely. There are only so many core ideas and themes for a movie or show or book to go around. There's bound to be repetition, or else nothing new would ever be created. There are so many tropes that are overdone or whatever, but the alternative would be to make nothing new ever until someone finally comes up with something completely original.

Every once in a while we get something truly unique, and its exciting when that happens. But for the most part, stuff is going to repeat. That's just how it has to happen if you ever want new stuff to come out.

I think we also have become so desensitized to how awesome movies and shows are. Everyone is such a harsh critic these days. If something isn't completely top notch, perfect in every way, a lot of people go so far as to call it utter garbage or something. And it's like really, could you have made a better movie? Probably not.

I've noticed particularly with horror movies, novelty is really important, because I've become so desensitized to horror that almost nothing is truly terrifying anymore. Imagine 50 years ago someone watching a movie like The Ring or something. They would be horrified! Or someone 50 years ago watching, say, the new Avengers film would be in awe of how incredible it is, with the special effects and the characters and the story.

I personally believe film has improved so much over the years, and that someone coming here from the past could watch almost anything current and be amazed by it. But we are kind of spoiled now and, as you've accurately noted Kenzi, addicted to novelty.

Kenzi likes this.
  16. It's fair to say it's easier to criticise than to do something better than the thing you criticise. But networks and studios tend to not be so thrilled with original work. A lot of unique shows get cancelled because networks get scared when viewing figures drop. A show like Joan of Arcadia is an example of that and apparently Lost ended the way it due viewing figures dropping. They're so many detective/cop shows and hospital dramas because that's the safe option that guarantees an audience. You do have a point about creating original work but I think if we found out the ideas that have been rejected by networks and studios you'll see a lot of original ideas. Of course, Netflix and Amazon are more open to taking risks since they won't suffer financially if the show has a low audience.

17. Yeah, that's a part of it too. I was mostly thinking about movies, I guess. A lot of people critique any movie that comes out and is somewhat similar to another movie.