Post published by _overcomer_

I really need to have love for God's words, the bible... I often don't have the love for it, and don't want to read it :(
Bearish more_vert
Bearish
Oh, man. Don't send the poor guy to the Revelation to John for daily devotional reading! It requires too much history of the persecution of the secon-century Church to interpret.
Templarius likes this.
Bearish more_vert
Bearish
It talks a lot about our theology and ecclesiastical organization in secret code. The churches of the period knew exactly what it meant, but they were thick in the midst of Roman extermination.
Bearish more_vert
Bearish
It's very powerful, but too many people think that because it's cryptic, it MUST be some prediction of the future.
Bearish more_vert
Bearish
"Who are these, robed in white, and where have they come from?...These are they who have come out of the Great Ordeal...and have washed their clothes white in the blood of the Lamb!"
Bearish more_vert
Bearish
Great stuff, but not to be read without a guide.
Templarius more_vert
Templarius
@bearishDGS I was distant from the B, the only thing atracted me was the Apo. There is no need to know theology or history of religion. Its poetical, symbolic, and incredibly rich formal structure invites to meditate it, in itself, perfectly
Templarius more_vert
Templarius
@bearishDGS I perfectly understand what you mean, but the Bible not only the Apo, makes a place also not for only reading with your mind and knowledge but for understanding the Word with your heart.
Bearish more_vert
Bearish
Yes, but you should be stable, not given to night terrors about the Eschaton. ;)
Templarius more_vert
Templarius
@_overcomer_ why dont you try to download Word Alert app? Small fragments of the B, reading them realy slowly, word by word, contemplating without judging what you feel while reading, is
Templarius more_vert
Templarius
A great way to get interested and sync your feelings with this substancial information
Kungfuman432 more_vert
Kungfuman432
Hey man if you have grown up in the word might I suggest challenging yourself. Often I find lack of passion is related a lack of direction.. is there part of God's character you want to explore? What about comparing Jesus as Lion and Lamb in the gospels?
_overcomer_ likes this.
_overcomer_ more_vert
_overcomer_
Yes @Kungfuman432 I often just read without a direction...
Dontfap2017 more_vert
Dontfap2017
I hear you and I admit at times I don't want to read the bible, yet even so I choose to read it even if I don't feel like it. Also what helps is praying before and during reading the bible to ask for the Lord to speak to me.
Kungfuman432 likes this.
diddykong more_vert
diddykong
The best thing I did was invest in a study Bible. It truly enriches the experience when you're starting as you get explanations of books and difficult verses, highlights where the bible links to other bits and maps.
_overcomer_ and Kungfuman432 like this.
diddykong more_vert
diddykong
Also compare different translations using Bible Gateway. You might find a translation that you find easier to read better.
diddykong more_vert
diddykong
Finally, don't forget that the devil is not afraid of a dust-covered Bible (Charles Spurgeon).
santiago123456789 more_vert
santiago123456789
"Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken." Ecclesiaste 4:12
clydevulcan likes this.
santiago123456789 more_vert
santiago123456789
remember if we are together we are stronger. God bless Us
John Baur and _overcomer_ like this.
Joeanomics more_vert
Joeanomics
Hi overcomer, might I suggest you check out The Bible Project on youtube. It has animations covering different themes that help you gain understanding visually before you read. Highly recommend it.
clydevulcan more_vert
clydevulcan
Start with the Gospel of John! And get the Bible App from YouVersion and the Audio Bible app. Makes it easier to follow along, process, and connect with what you are reading :)