1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Post published by lucentio

I was going over some old computer files and came across this letter that I wrote to my son a few years ago. I hope someone out there finds this helpful:

August 20, 2010

Hello Son,

You will be starting college in a few days. Rather than try to tell you a million things when we drop you off on Saturday, I thought I would type out a few thoughts.

Although we pray at most every meal, we haven't talked much about prayer. I do not know what you think about prayer. That is a shortcoming on my part.

I read a book years ago, when your cousin, Danny, passed away. (The book is titled When Bad Things Happen to Good People.) Danny was only 18 months old. I had a really hard time with his death and the book helped me deal with it. I couldn't believe that an all-loving, all-powerful God could permit such a thing to happen. Well meaning people told me that Danny's death was a part of God's plan. I did not believe that to be true. I still don't. Some terrible things can happen to people in this life; floods, earthquakes and wars are just a few. I don't believe God plans them; but I don't think He can prevent them, either. What God can do, and this is very powerful, is help us deal with the challenges that come our way. He does this by changing us. It is not so much about what happens to us in this life as it is about how we deal with what happens to us.

When I pray, I don't pray for God to do things for me or to give me things (although a winning lottery ticket would be nice). I pray for others and pray for God to change me in order to help me deal with my life's challenges.

My favorite verse from the Bible is Proverbs 3:5-6

Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;

In all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will make your paths straight.

I have strayed from this principle time and again in my life. Sometimes I get to feeling that I understand it all and don't need God. That has inevitably led to disappointment. However, over the years, it seems the times when I have most successfully adhered to this proverb are the times when I have been most at peace.

That is my greatest wish for you: a peaceful heart.

I started out to write you some tips about living away from home. This is what came out when I sat down to type. No matter. Doing what you believe God wants you to do is a pretty good guide for any situation, large or small. Perhaps this is what God wanted me to write. ;-)

I love you very much and I am very proud of you. I am sure your time at University will be a great adventure. I will be praying for you, as always. Call, email or text me anytime.

Dad
Free777 more_vert
Free777
Wonderfull! Thak you for sharing this.
lucentio likes this.
Cerebro more_vert
Cerebro
this is great am highly inspired. Thanks dad
lucentio likes this.