Post published by MarinoBigFan1984

One thing I’m trying to do to help me on this journey is to really embrace many traditions of the church that reinforce chastity. Two of these I am finding the most helpful are prayer and penance. I’m gone back to praying only on my knees and giving myself penances aimed at discomfort. A little suffering is good for the soul
Saskia Simone more_vert
Saskia Simone
This is good thinking, but don't overlook the value of the involuntary sufferings that come your way, too. These have enormous value in growing virtue. Prayers for your success, brother x
Longinus more_vert
Longinus
The daily sufferings that come your way and which are offered to God in a spirit of charity are waaay more profitable than any self-imposed penances, because they do not have our wills attached to them.
vinedresser and chastedude like this.
Djebeq more_vert
Djebeq
I would disagree with Longinus. Involuntary suffering has as much value as forced love. "Mortification of the senses" is something to look into.
chastedude likes this.
Longinus more_vert
Longinus
Mortifications have as much value when they've been assigned from a spiritual director/confessor/ or the Church. The point of the spiritual life is conformity to the will of God. We do not do this when we follow our own wills, including mortifications.
Djebeq more_vert
Djebeq
Of course we must respond to all suffering in a welcoming way. I do think even though there is an abundance of involuntary suffering, that we cannot truely follow Christ to Calvary unless we willingly sacrifice our comforts.
Saskia Simone likes this.
PmoHater more_vert
PmoHater
Mortification is always good. Mother Teresa used it and soo did Pope John Paul II. A good paper to read is The Enduring Value of Corporal Mortification
Djebeq more_vert
Djebeq
I think you are thinking of flagulation. That is a pretty extreme way to mortify.