1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Reading Challenge [2024]

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by UnholyConfessor, Dec 31, 2023.

1. The End of Alice is a gross book and I feel gross reading it, but I have to admit I like the way it's written.

White Sheep and Semtex like this.
  2. One Eyed Owl

One Eyed Owl Distinguished Fapstronaut

Read

Amos 7
    Proverbs 18
    JoJo Bizarre Adventures Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable vol 2-3
    ADWD 515-750

White Sheep likes this.
  3. MagnateMilln

MagnateMilln Fapstronaut

Yeah, already my two female friends have recommended "Power of Your Subconscious Mind" to me and the person who talked about 'Awaken the Giant Within' also.
    'Awaken the Giant Within' is the best book I have read so far. I haven't finished it yet, but I know I will apply the things I learned from it to my life. This book truly teaches you how to be a happier person, how to deal with problems, achieve your goals and make your dreams come true.

FallingPetals likes this.
  4. Finished The End of Alice. I liked this book at first but it falls off hard, devolving into just being gross for the sake of it. I've read books that are a lot more disgusting while also having that grossness serve a purpose, with this book it just feels like the author was trying to shoehorn it in. All in all the book seems like a pale copy of Lolita in a lot of ways, but without the grace and deft prose of Nabokov. 6.5/10.

Next up, The Left Hand of Darkness.

White Sheep likes this.
  5. Dying Light

Dying Light Fapstronaut

The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It..... by Kelly McGonagall ...

This book is good for habit changing and forming new habits. It has helped me in some ways. Happy reading.....

White Sheep and biggermack352 like this.
  6. Finished System Collapse by Martha Wells. It's gonna be tough waiting for the next Murderbot book to come out.

White Sheep and biggermack352 like this.
  7. Finished The Left Hand of Darkness. It's considered a classic but the first half of the book is boring as sin, and weirdly, the blurb on my copy only describes what happens in the last 100 pages, which was the reason I read the book at all, and was good. So it balances out to a 7/10 for me.

Next up, Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami.

White Sheep and Mr. Cooler like this.
  8. En?gmatic

En?gmatic Fapstronaut

In the last two days I've read three books:

-Jugoslavian Wars by Joze Pirjevec (650 pages), long and sometime boring, but interesting, especially the three years war in Bosnia Herzegovina.

-A book about Chomsky toughts on Ukraine (120 pages) - I've read it only because they gifted it to me, there were interesting things tho

-A book about Chomsky toughts on Modern world issues (90 pages) - Not interesting at all honestly, I've just read it because I read all the books they gift to me. Since his mere opinions during pandemy, he just proof that he's a gatekeeper and nothing more. He give you some ''light'' on somethings and then scam you with other issues, blocking you from get the truth, just like other scammers like Musk or Icke does.

Mr. Cooler likes this.
  9. En?gmatic

En?gmatic Fapstronaut

Today I've completed two other books I was reading. Book number 14 and 15.

14: A book about Switzerland during ww2 (280 pages), authors are Pierre Streit and Jean-Jacques Langendorf.

15: Heptaplus by Pico Della Mirandola (112 pages). This book was really interesting and fully push the cabalistic and christian interpretation of the six days creation of the world inside the Torah and show how it's interconnected with the creation of the Ish (the creation of the man)

Mr. Cooler likes this.
  10. biggermack352

biggermack352 Fapstronaut

Finished Leviathan Wakes by James S. A. Corey (2011). First book of the expanse series. I appreciate the near future sci fi aspect. Humanity has colonized the solar system but not yet the stars. It feels real and lived in. It’s got all the aspects of the real world; politics, economics, religion, relationships, etc. The two protagonists, Holden and Miller, are interesting and different from each other. A younger me would have agreed more with Holden but a current me agrees more with Miller. I love how the belt an amalgamation of different cultures and languages and people. Belters are built different amirite? The resolution of the story was ok. I’m interested to see what happens next. I’ll keep reading the series.

SethLCU likes this.
  11. biggermack352

biggermack352 Fapstronaut

I haven’t ready much of Chomsky but I did read Manufacturing Consent which I learned a lot from. What are the criticisms of Chomsky exactly? I’m not familiar with that. I understand the criticisms with Musk.

12. One Eyed Owl

Read

Amos 8
    Proverbs 19
    JoJo Bizarre Adventures Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable vol 4-5
    Retribution 104-232
    ADWD 750-838

White Sheep likes this.
  13. hiimbubbles

hiimbubbles Fapstronaut

Im reading The Kingdom Of God's by NK Jemisin final book of the Inheritance trilogy

White Sheep likes this.
  14. FallingPetals

FallingPetals Fapstronaut

I decided to take on reading two books this month and I am soooo close to finishing both of them but also kind of far. It's challenging but I am more than determined to reach my Feb goals
    but over all reading habit has been a lot better
    best part is learning new stuff

15. Finished Coin Locker Babies. Very surreal book but I liked it a lot. Also not as sexual as I expected it to be, which is good because it might have been triggering. I'll give it an 8/10. Next up, Memories of Ice, the third Malazan book. It's 1200 pages so I expect it to take me the rest of this month and most of March too.

White Sheep and hiimbubbles like this.
  16. FallingPetals

FallingPetals Fapstronaut

Finished reading another book! Yayyyyy!

hiimbubbles likes this.
  17. Finished Liminal Dreaming: Exploring Consciousness at the Edges of Sleep by Jennifer Dumpert.

White Sheep likes this.
  18. Avanchzel

Avanchzel Fapstronaut

Plan to read and finish 10 books by this year.
    The reading order so far :

Romance of Three Kingdoms (two volumes)
    Musashi
    Portable Dante which contains all the Divine Comedies such as inferno as well as Vita Nuova
    Les Miserables
    Crime and Punishment
    The Brothers Karamazov
    The Aeneid
    Ulysses

19. 600 pages, so halfway, through Memories of Ice. Very good so far, with the disparate plot threads from the previous two books coming together into a more coherent whole. Steven Erikson deftly blends so many different characters, ideas, and plot points that at times it is staggering. It makes a lot of other high fantasy series look like they were written for children. I do wonder - did Erikson plan out the entire story ahead of time, all ten books? If so then I imagine some insane payoffs are coming. Eventually lmao.

White Sheep likes this.
  20. One Eyed Owl

Read

Amos 9
    Proverbs 20
    JoJo Bizarre Adventures Part 4: Diamond is Unbreakable vol 6-7
    Retribution 232-322
    ADWD 838-959

Micah 1
    Proverbs 21
    Diamond is Unbreakable 8-9