45 Mass Shootings in the USA This Year

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by IGY, Oct 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IGY

IGY Guest

I missed the point you were trying to make. Could you explain the relevance of this comment to the theme of this thread?

2. himmelstoss

himmelstoss Fapstronaut

Because nearly all the shooters spent most of their lives sky high on medications they didn't need so their parents could stick them in a corner and ignore them

Indignation likes this.
  3. IGY

IGY Guest

In fact, he killed himself.

4. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

You know what I meant.

5. IGY

IGY Guest

You assume it was a criticism @Congrelous, which it wasn't. I was just repeating what I had just read in a news report.

6. Congrelous

Congrelous Fapstronaut

What was the point of quoting me, then? It's not difficult to make that inference. If it wasn't force, or the threat of force, the only alternative would be suicide.

7. Anti-faper

Anti-faper Fapstronaut

You haven't notice that this is a push by Obama to get our guns. This is an attack on the 2nd amendment and here's trying best to get our guns.

himmelstoss likes this.
  8. Spidey2Dope

Spidey2Dope Fapstronaut

Sometimes I think a lot of these attacks are created by the government to push their agenda to take our guns. Just like in Sandy Hook. The CNN news reporters were sometimes behind a green screen talking to "survivors" of the attack. Just like i think 9/11 was used to make us go to war with Iraq just so we could obtain their oil and in Afghanistan were American troops guard opium poppy plants so they can keep a tight grip on the drug trade. American government has thrown out other countries leaders and put in more corrupt men in their place. There are countless events that have been declassified by our government were they committed false flags to further push their own agenda. Wouldn't surprise me if many of these tragic events where many of these shooting happen are set up by the CIA and our government to try and take our guns away to help form the one world government. An unarmed nation is easier to take control. Yes we can vote and all that but many of the people that we vote for are already groomed by the elite and will only further their agenda. Call me a conspiracy theorists but false flags do happen and I wouldn't doubt they still happen. Look at Hillary Clinton and her involvement with Benghazi. Look at how they were tapping everyone's phones and Internet records , disregarding our right of privacy all for keeping us safe from "terrorists". Unfortunately my government has a lot of corrupt people running this country and will do unspeakable things in the shadows to further their goals. I could go on and on about all the things the government does to push things they want and the proof is there and all you need to do is research history a little bit. Unfortunately the people have been dumbed down by the poisoned food, water and propaganda on tv and don't simply care, just as long as they get their pizza, beer, and football they don't care.

9. IGY

IGY Guest

I cannot follow your rationale. Obama cannot get any gun regulations introduced because he is out voted by the other side. So, what you are suggesting is evidently not the case.

10. Knight Solaire

Knight Solaire Fapstronaut

No offense bub, but I personally believe that anyone who does not live in U.S. can't see just how bad it is here.

All anyone outside knows is what is on the news or Internet. There is no evidence against what he is stating and there is, in fact, evidence to show that the U.S. is being pushed towards a police state, militarized country.

There are many inclinations that what @Spidey2Dope suggested is going on. Lots, in fact. Our elections are rigged. We have "seclusion" zones for "immigrants" that are apparently "vacant". Underlying messages in media for children teaching them "the right way to think".

I believe we all should be mindful of what is going on in our world events. Not just what is fed us through popular media. I'm not saying that is what anyone is/isn't doing, it was just a thought.

Keep an open mind. Anything could happen.

Golgo 13, Immor and Spidey2Dope like this.
  11. Are we so frightened of the government and this purported police state that we value our guns above other people's lives? Sure our democracy has been compromised by the corporate lobby and nowadays it seems that corporate citizens are the only citizens who count. But this is not a call to armed revolt. It is a call to use our democracy as it should be and take back our rights. It is a call to protests, to foot marches, to reinvesting local politics with energy and power, to resurrecting the local town hall meeting all across the nation. But not to armed revolt. If our first option is always to take up arms, then we might as well get rid of our democracy together and split our nation into warring city states. Sounds like fun. Except... 14th century medieval Germany and Italy was exactly like that, and the land was frequently ravaged by roaming brigand companies and despotic tyrants. Nobody was safe, not even the nobles. I for one prefer the current Pax Americana. Our democracy is there to prevent violence, not to incite it.

12. Powerstrip

Powerstrip Fapstronaut

Not read any of this thread, so these points may have been covered. However my thoughts:

Guns are bad m'kay?
    By allowing nearly anyone to purchase and own a gun, you are offering a deadly weapon to a person who probably has very little training and could hurt many people very easily, even by accident.

Now often the reason for owning a gun is safety. But guns are probably more harm than they are worth. If someone breaks into your home and they think you might have a gun, what are they going to do, burgle the house and leave, or make sure you haven't got a gun and are coming down the stairs to meet you with it? Here in the UK, I've had my home burgled a couple of times. Each time I was asleep in bed, they came in, took what they wanted and left. They didn't need to go check on where we were asleep and whether we had weapons.

Another thought is "well if i haven't got a gun, the criminal will have one". And in some cases that will be absolutely true. But by making guns impossible to legally purchase, you will make getting a gun extremely difficult. Only those in criminal gangs will have them, not 90% of criminals who are usually desperate for cash.

Another argument that often comes up is "More guns!" to keep our schools safe. Yup, by arming teachers somehow schools will be safer. It's asking for yet more accidents, more opportunities for a kid to grab a gun from the teacher and cause a problem. By inviting more guns to be there, you're giving more chance to hurt people. Let's say all the teachers were armed, and this guy goes round shooting the place. A teacher has his/her gun ready and fires as someone comes round the corner. Oh dear, that was actually the most popular girl in school trying to get away from the killer. Well, there's another one gone.

In conclusion: The second amendment was all about protecting the people from the government going corrupt. There's a lot of stuff that suggests that actually, the government is corrupt as so many corporations have far too much influence. But I don't believe that people turning up in Washington and taking over with guns will mean that the government will be overthrown. You live in a democracy. If there's a problem you protest legally, you don't start shooting. The second amendment is no longer relevant as the world is a lot more structured.

HippyMinstrel likes this.
  13. I don't know where IGY got his statistics, but there have been more shootings than days this year:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...15-274-days-294-mass-shootings-hundreds-dead/

The "epidemic" of mental illness Immor likes to quote can be attributed to a variety of causes, but it should be pretty clear it isn't as simple as "...people used not to have mental illness, and they do now." There are a variety of potential causes; everything from changes in the DSM (the clinical manual for psychiatry), higher individual reporting due to reduced stigma, medicalization, incentives (financial or otherwise), to the belief that a particular condition is on the rise (which results in higher diagnosis and higher reporting - example: higher diagnosed cases of autism).

People kill others, always have. Easy access to firearms increases the body count. Couple that with a "right" to weapons (which is not absolute, nobody complains of a right not to have nuclear/biological/chemical weapons, tanks, or missiles) and inordinate fear of "corrupt" government and you have the current state of affairs. If you ask me, the last one of these shows true disillusionment with the democratic electoral process.

I live in the Western United States, where guns tend to be more proliferative than where I grew up, in the Northeast. The rational people who have guns seem to treat them like a tool, say, like an axe or a chainsaw. But there are some people out there who have a small arsenal, and I have to ask whether it's truly NECESSARY for someone to have a fully automatic assault rifle, or a military-grade sniper rifle.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2015
  14. Immor

Immor Fapstronaut

I actually meant it more along the lines of "there didn't use to be as many shootings and now there are. So what is wrong with people?"
    Although I'm convinced there are more mental problems than there used to be, I'm not convinced that is the only cause. The medication for it as mentioned by @himmelstoss is a more likely explanation. There are also some other possible theories.

Not if tomorrow is the same as today and nothing ever changes. A gun is a versatile weapon and it is about being prepared for whatever because things do change.

The government certainly is prepared with the purchase of an additional 1.6 billion rounds of ammo and lots of plastic coffins. Although they are perfectly capable of fucking us up without that. They are only worried about people getting aware of just how badly they are getting fucked up.

15. Spidey2Dope

Spidey2Dope Fapstronaut

Aah someone else who knows about them buying up the ammo and storing up massive amounts of coffins

Knight Solaire likes this.
  16. There is a shocking amount of paranoia and fear in certain extreme right-leaning sectors of the American population nowadays. Of course the rise of propagandists like Glenn Beck and Rush Limbaugh (who have grown extremely wealthy fueling this fire) hasn't helped things at all, nor have rapid social and political shifts like rapidly growing minority demographics and the election of a non-White President. Look at the armed standoff between a Nevada rancher and the Federal government last year. This rancher hasn't paid grazing fees for grazing his cattle on FEDERAL land in nearly two decades, so the Federal government goes to impound his cattle. He shows up with a bunch of heavily armed civilians, some of which come from the Northwest, Northeast, and other parts of the country. Naturally the Federal government doesn't want a bloodbath on its hands so they retreat.

The rise of extreme rightist groups is a definite cause for concern among domestic law enforcement agencies. These people feel they are "under attack" so in some ways, the desire to arm oneself is understandable. Unfortunately, these individuals' fear extends to the ballot box, and has completely gutted the center out of our political system. What makes America work is a willingness to lay aside differences and meet in the middle, but with both left and right standing on opposite sides like a middle school dance nothing is working. So you have politicians willing to pull stunts like risk default on the Federal debt over small quibbles in funding or other issues that reflect a profound lack of understanding of how the world really works, and moreover, a lack of critical thinking ability - which given this group's apparent dislike of "educated ivory-tower elites" and the sad state of American public education - is not surprising.

HippyMinstrel likes this.
  17. Powerstrip

Powerstrip Fapstronaut

Immor likes this.
  18. IGY

IGY Guest

Evidently, this particular murderer had 14 weapons and a stockpile of ammunition, all obtained legally. None of the arguments put forward so far explain why someone would collect such a stash of firearms. This is just crazy people! :eek:

19. numpty

numpty Fapstronaut

to own not one but 14, that too, LEGALLY clearly says something is wrong in the system.

As am a big fan of "fuel sources" yep you guessed it - only way to cease this is to make guns illegal full stop.

This constitution excuse is nonsense. I think some religious element is required much to the oppose of Ben Carson - thy shall not kill.

guns are illegal in the UK and only specially trained officers carry these. In each city there are probably upto 5-6 officers on duty at any one time that are armed.

A new rookie cop who has no experience should not be issued a gun. This can obviously only work if citizens dont own guns.

The UK system works brilliantly yes there have been deaths but not as many as 1 at least everyday like the USA

20. Knight Solaire

Knight Solaire Fapstronaut

I believe he didn't obtain it legally. I believe it was a ruse meant to incite (no offense to anyone in particular) a fear of guns that is being widely broadcast across this thread.

Again, I am not against gun control for safety. I'm against being put into a containment camp and gassed for not meeting certain standards or not thinking the right way.

Like I said, that is just what the news said about what happened. No one actually knows. There is no evidence except the words of popular media. I think we are all in the same place and our opinions are on equal footing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.