1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

HELP: Lack of human connection

Discussion in 'Rebooting in a Relationship' started by corvan3, Jun 19, 2014.

1. corvan3

corvan3 Fapstronaut

I'm lonely, mostly recovered from depression, with basically no friends but several good acquaintances. I'm not sure how to get a friend or what to do with them. I am unbearable and undeniably deprived of human connection. Where do I start with how to fix it? How do I fix it? I'm pretty sure that I'm NOT the only person here with this problem and that others reading it have addressed it.

2. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

Where to start to find human connection?

Get involved in shared activities and hobbies to build friendship around. Friendship is usually about something, common interests. Join an adult sports league, a gaming group, a book club, volunteer with a charity organization or a political group, or, if you're religious, join a church that pulls you into group activities from the beginning (a church with nobody your age and nothing going on wouldn't help much).

The thing is to get out of your own head and into something else. Focus on learning more about other people and what's going on in their lives. Pick your head up and ask friendly questions.

Do small favors for others. If you can bake, (even using a box mix) bring sweets. Hahaha... a man who can cook (even a little) and does so without being asked? Hello-o-o ladies! You'll get more positive attention than you want if you bring tasty stuff into the right gathering. Try it!

3. Tschoo

Tschoo Fapstronaut

I should put a link to my poem here, hehe.

No, but really. All friendships begin because people had something in common. The first friends you get are in school, because you got school in common and are constantly in the same room with each other.
    University can be tough, because people take different courses at different times, so I found it hard to find connections there.
    Really, follow your passions and become active, the rest will follow. Don't be afraid to go to social clubs, groups and organisations on your own.

4. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

Yeah I agree with Tschoo. Get out of the house and live life while you can. Engaging in new or pre existing sports and hobbies of yours is a great way to meet new people. Go to events to do with these activities. Great idea of Tschoo's with the baking.
    I'm not great with human contact either, though the best advice I can give is, when you find yourself initiating a conversation (or someone's talking to you) or you're wanting to initiate a conversation and can't quite think of what to say first, don't worry about it. Being calm and composed will let the person know you're being friendly and the conversation will likely flow on from there. Of course you'll still need to introduce yourself. To start the conversation you could ask of the person's mutual interests as to why they're at the event you're at.
    If all that makes sense....