1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Real Issue That Needs Addressing: Escapism and Avoidance

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Pogi Points, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Pogi Points

Pogi Points Fapstronaut

Truth be told, I think PMO is just a scapegoat for many our real problems: escapism being used as an avoidance of the "real" world.

How many here have substituted their PMO with something else? I've seen many say they increased time playing video games, watching movies, smoking marijuana or even going to prostitution or starting a new hobby.

Because it's not just PMO. It's our culture of insta-gratification. How many people have their faces stuck to their smart phones for long amounts of time? The other day I bumped into at least four kids who were walking in the middle of a crowded street because they were so busy playing with their phones. Not a single care for the world.

Just wanted to post this because I realized I may have put PMO on a pedestal and had this dangerous thinking where I'm like "aha! I found the root of all my problems" when it was simply a problem amongst many.

Cheers.

2. Mankrik

Mankrik Fapstronaut

Accurate and fair assessment. Although conquering sexual temptations through no PMO may allow us to fix many of the problems we face, it is not the only thing we can do to improve our lives. There are many facets of life we can enhance through methods similar to nofap. The mentality nofap offers branches into many other realms of self betterment but it is also important to strive for additional life changing approaches to improve one's self.

3. douggie1962

douggie1962 Fapstronaut

This is the beauty of getting PMO out of your life - You now have time to think.
    You will find that you think about a lot more things with the time you used to spend on PMO. Other recovery programs call this the 'Fearless moral inventory".

Be Strong My Friend.

Commandant Logic likes this.
  4. Commandant Logic

Commandant Logic Fapstronaut

5. Commandant Logic

Bro tbh I don't think you can generalize this issue like that. Even mental health professionals including world renowned psychiatrists, psychologists, and neurologists wouldn't try to generalize something as complex as addiction the way you're attempting to.

Mankrik likes this.
  6. Commandant Logic

Cheers man. Smartphone addiction is real and the majority of folks scoff at the term but the majority are phone addicts hehehehe,

But man, the issues of man go way deeper like you're saying I give you kudo points dude I just think people who are truly addicted to PMO need to address that one issue before worrying about other things but recovery is a holistic process and making changes in all areas of one's life is never a bad thing....

7. Commandant Logic

Everyone is addicted for different reasons. Some aren't really addicted. Perhaps a large chunk of young men lack discipline and exhibit escape behaviors when faced with the slightest discomfort. Maybe they avoid channeling feelings of horniness in a more productive, transformative manner (because that would take more discipline and effort) by wanking one out to P.

The truth is a true addiction is a coping mechanism to deal with a very unique emotional trauma inside the addict's psyche. No two addicts have the same wound, but may share a similar story nonetheless.

Just came across these,

Awakeatlast likes this.
  8. silenteagle

silenteagle Fapstronaut

True! I have been pondering over this for quite sometime!

Awakeatlast likes this.
  9. Katyaayan-shantanu

Katyaayan-shantanu New Fapstronaut

That's a point to be noted...! and is the main cause...!!

10. Katyaayan-shantanu

Katyaayan-shantanu New Fapstronaut