1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Sexism and language

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Tschoo, May 26, 2014.

1. Tschoo

Tschoo Fapstronaut

I thought that this is merely related to nofap genrally so I am posting it here.

What I was wondering about lately was how people are trying to insult each other, with which words, to be exact.
    For example, if a girl got hurt by a man and wants to express her anger she will most likely call him an asshole and an idiot.
    But if a man got hurt by a girl he tends to call her a bitch.
    I think this is not only relevant to the boy-girl, girl-boy situation but also to the larger society in general. Do we agree that these are commmon words that are used to insult each other?

Now interstingly while we try to hurt men emotionally by saying asshole and idiot, we try to hurt women by calling them bitches, which seems to stem from this notion, that this is the worst thing that women can do, being bitches.
    Now, if we really want to hurt a man, we call him a "son of a bitch", which implicates that he is bad in someway, but targeting the mother of him to do so, by giving the attribute of "being a bitch" to her. Do we agree that "son of a bitch" sounds worse than being called an idiot?

And here, I claim, we can see how female sexuality is still heavily stigmatised and this condmentation is structualised in our language.
    Now of course you could argue that we are in a period of time after feminism, the freeing of women, and that we use the term "bitch" and related words as mere fragments of the past, with no more actual meaning, but I think this would be mistaken, because at least in my living environment, the terms still are heavily used and with the actual meaning to it.

Just some thoughts of mine.

PS: I am aware that the term "bitch" got a more positive notion to it lately, being used in some popular songs, where the term gets used in a way that women are Okay with being called bitches, as some kind of weird trade off to live their sexuality freely. Call me a bitch, but then let me live my sexuality, kind of way.

2. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

I'm a little confused, Tschoo. The word "bitch" means literally a mother dog. People call women "bitches" to say that they are unpleasant to be around, much like a female dog with puppies who becomes very unfriendly to outsiders and hostile when protecting her den. I don't see what it has to do with sexuality exactly.

3. Tschoo

Tschoo Fapstronaut

well there you go with not having english as your mother tongue. geez, and there I am thinking my whole life that "bitch" is equivalent to "whore". I'm sorry, maybe my text makes more sense if you replace bitch with whore, but then again I wouldnt say whore is a much used as bitch.
    Now I am confused as well. My mother tongue is german and I thought bitch is the same as "Schlampe" in German and "Schlampe" is awfully close to "Hure" which means whore. I thought bitch, whore, slut, skank, hoe are all synonymns but I guess I am wrong.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  4. Nate007

Nate007 Fapstronaut

the english language still puts he before she and man often in place of human. So even in "usual" english their is still the underlying hints at male dominance. I think it will take a lot of small individual efforts to change this because it, (male dominance), is deeply ingrained in society.

5. IGY

IGY Guest

Bitch can be used in 8 different ways in English - http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/bitch

6. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

Yes, I'm aware of the different slang definitions listed there. The non-slang definition is the only literal one, the others metaphorical and derived from behaviors of the female dog.

7. Tschoo

Tschoo Fapstronaut

interesting... I looked it up in a german-english dictionary and there is written that bitch also gets used as "Schlampe", which is the german expression for a girl who is humhum sexually liberal.
    Wikipedia says that "bitch" is an anglicism and that bitch got the notion it has today in German in the 1990s, because it was falsely used by teenagers as something with a sexual background.

The same happened with the "Handy" which is the german expression for mobile phone; we pronounce it like it was an English word though.

Quite frankly, I thought that bitch was used as whore, just like "fucking *insert word of choice here*" is used quite freely in the English language.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  8. e5s

e5s Fapstronaut

Oh my goodness... you have just added a gem to my humor bank.
    The usual use of "handy" in English is an adjective meaning something useful.
    The slang use of "handy" as a NOUN is, when the girl services a guy with her hand.

9. December

December Fapstronaut

I think you mean the term "bad bitch".
    And there are PLENTY other awful terms that men call women.
    In any case, I call men bitches too.

10. dannyen

dannyen Fapstronaut

Why do you call men bitches, does not that term refer to females.