What's the best book you've read this year?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Lazarus Shuttlesworth, Nov 30, 2016.

1. Dziki007

Dziki007 Fapstronaut

Most powerful book i read was "Power of now" by Ekchart Tolle.

2. Everyone and their mama has been recommending that book to me lol I have the ebook version too but I've been procrastinating with starting it. Thanks for the reminder!

3. The Martian by Andy Weir
    It's amazing

Jestr likes this.
  4. Jestr

Jestr Fapstronaut

Try audiobooks. I have been using them for a few years now and they are great when you are doing monotonous tasks

5. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

I rarely read books, I struggle to focus.
    Maybe I have some kind of attention deficit.
    Last times I read a full length book were way back when reading all the Narnia and Harry Potter books.
    Since then I've read engineering and science based books.
    Yes all of them.
    I prefer audio books though, especially when the narrator has the ability to take you away in the story.
    I always found reading it to be less imaginative, only seeming to focus on the individual word rather than what it meant towards the story.
    I particularly enjoy mythological stories about Norse and Greek gods for example.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  6. Dziki007

Dziki007 Fapstronaut

You wont regret, it is really good book. Ekchart perfectly described the biggest illnes in our generation - depression. Hes really most inlfuencial author for me. This book changed me completely.

7. Well I just finished Orwell's 1984 and what can I say, it was the most terrifying novel I have read. You pretty much have to read it if you haven't already.

Frühlingstimme likes this.
  8. Dziki007

Dziki007 Fapstronaut

Yes, I read it, great book ;)

9. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

How do you listen to them? Audiobooks.com? (or whatever the website is?)

10. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

ReplentLmySlins Lhas Slpoken

11. Thackeray

Thackeray Fapstronaut

Mainly listened to books this year, to my shame. 'The power of Habit' by Charles Duhigg is one that sticks in my mind as a good non-fiction book. Fiction wise, some Sherlock Holmes is on my mp3 player at the moment and that's been great.
    Nofap related - The Philip Zimbardo book 'Man Disconnected' I'm currently reading is eye-opening and highly recommended to anyone here.

MrPrince likes this.
  12. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Re-read Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. Amazing book.

13. Jungler

Jungler Fapstronaut

I might be breaking the first and second rule but.. Fight Club!

Read it so many times before watching the movie and saw it just yesterday..

14. I also have to say that best book I've read this year is The Power of Now. It is very relevant book to us nofappers. Being present is very effective way how to avoid acting on urges and avoid sexual thoughts. Also helps to deal with other problems in our life instead of using PMO as a coping method for them.

15. Evo 2.0

Evo 2.0 Fapstronaut

Just finished reading 'The very hungry caterpillar' would definitely recommend if you haven't read it. :)

16. Jestr

Jestr Fapstronaut

Normally I use audible.com. It is run by Amazon and is a pretty good service.

The other one to look at is overdrive. It's an app that connects to the libraries in most cities allowing you to borrow audiobooks and ebooks.

17. Frühlingstimme

Frühlingstimme Fapstronaut

GOLAS, Thaddeus. The Lazy Man’s Guide To Enlightenment.

18. Thackeray

Thackeray Fapstronaut

Listened to that on audio book years back. Very profound stuff. I'd recommend Wayne Dyer for something similar. And Way of the peaceful warrior by Dan Milkman. I'm gonna re-read that now. Amazing book.

19. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Yes, audible was what I was thinking of. Thanks.