1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

KSP

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by WHM, Jun 3, 2016.

1. WHM

WHM Fapstronaut

Hello Fapstronauts! I'm making this thread to discuss Kerbal Space Program. From ship design to orbital and flight dynamics and everything in between.

I've been at it for 2 years now, play with many (realistic) mods installed, and feel I have a pretty good grasp of most of the dynamics involved. I'd be happy to help answer any questions, from the basics to advanced.

So post up ideas, screenshots, mission ideas, questions or anything else you want KSP-related!

After all, who knows: Maybe Bill, Bob and Jeb are Fapstronauts too...

2. WHM

WHM Fapstronaut

http://imgur.com/a/pOuRu

Some pics from an Apollo-style Mun mission. My screenshot button was acting up and I didn't get the full mission. Also, in the later pics the game glitched and you'll notice the service engine on the CSM is too big (damn Tweakscale!)

Also couldn't figure out how to post images directly in this thread, hence the link to the album.

Let's see some pics of your KSP missions!

3. No idea what this is but it sounds awesome :D Cheers!

WHM likes this.
  4. WHM

WHM Fapstronaut

This game is a space flight simulator, with fairly accurate physics and orbital dynamics. The one video game that makes you smarter! : D

5. infinitely_for_the_good

infinitely_for_the_good Fapstronaut

I've played through the demo, and I realized just how much of a time dump it could be ( which is both FANTASTIC while doing a reboot, but not-so-great for getting away from the workstation). Nice job on the Apollo-Mu mission, btw!

6. Rikarwb

Rikarwb Fapstronaut

Played for a while ... forgot everything about it :D

I loved experimenting with planes ... And watch them crash !

Rip Bill.

7. I love KSP! I mostly play in sandbox mode and use MechJeb for the tougher maneuvers.

Here's my first interplanetary ship in orbit around Duna. The smaller middle section is supposed to be a satellite I leave in orbit, but I forgot a crucial part, so it won't work if I leave it.

The left most portion is a lander with one kerbal (capacity for two, but only sent one). Before this screenshot was taken, it successfully undocked, landed, Jeb did an EVA, and it returned to orbit and redocked.

The right portion is for refueling the lander and the interplanetary maneuvers.
    kspss1.jpg

I also have a space station (it's actually my 3rd, but the only one in orbit right now) with fuel tanks for refueling and crew quarters currently. I plan on adding more to it later.

kspss2.jpg

8. WHM

WHM Fapstronaut

Wow! Great pics and nice builds! This has inspired me to do a Duna mission, pic by pic for you guys. I have all the craft designed, built, and completed 1 successful mission already. I designed this mission as close as I could to the story in The Martian by Andy Weir. It has an MAV, MDV and two rovers. I'll do a second mission and document it step by step, then post it up here. It will probably take me about two weeks though, as this week I'm super busy with work, the weekend I'm going out of town. And on top of that my screenshot button is acting weird atm, so I'll have to fix that too (caused MAJOR frustration doing the Apollo mission).

In the mean time keep it coming fapstronauts!

9. Tried to bring back my Duna lander, but ran out of fuel while still in extremely high Kerbin orbit due to an inelegant transfer from Duna.

Sent another main propulsion stage, which doubles as my refuel/rescue ship, to get everything back and took some screenshots of the launch and docking. A few of those pictures are in this Imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/Eyewz

Here are highlights:

On the launchpad:
    [​IMG]

First stage SRB separation:
    [​IMG]

Second stage separation:
    [​IMG]

Rendezvous:
    [​IMG]

Reentry:
    [​IMG]

10. Went back to Duna again today. Planted a flag in honor of NoFap. Forgive the typo. Kerbals aren't as well known for their grammar skills as their blowing up rocket skills.

20160609205007_1.jpg

11. Rikarwb

Rikarwb Fapstronaut

So they go to space ... without knowing how to write ...

Seems A-okay :D

12. Iwillsuceed

Iwillsuceed Fapstronaut

never played it but I'm absolutely fascinated by space and space flight and really orbital mechanics. But this is awesome!!!

13. It's a fun game. I highly recommend it!

It can be a little intimidating at first, unless you already understand some space flight and rocket basics. But once you get to orbit for the first time, then land on Mun (the moon of the Earth like planet you are based on) for the first time, and then start exploring the solar system, it's very gratifying! I like that it requires a bit more measured thought and effort than many games, while not overwhelming with details. It strikes a good balance.

14. Iwillsuceed

Iwillsuceed Fapstronaut

Yeah I know some orbital mechanics. As long as I can use the real life formulas I should be fine.