Alcohol and depression after a night out drinking

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by tacomanarrows, May 13, 2016.

1. Does getting drunk give you depression?

So last weekend I went out on a bender with a few old mates. We were drinking from about 6pm till 3am so its fair to say I was quite hammered.

The thing is that we are now 5 days later and I only just feel like the depression is lifting. I have felt properly depressed and sluggish all week. I have also eaten loads of shit food and felt that I could not be bothered to train in the gym at all. For comparison the week before drinking I was one happy chappy, eating well, training lots, NoFap like a boss.

I suffered with major depression in my twenties. I used to drink a lot back then and I am only now connecting the dots a little and thinking that maybe, just maybe, me and alcohol don't mix. Maybe it is extra bad for people who have depression problems?

Has anyone else noticed this? Does alcohol also make you depressed for days after the initial hangover has gone? Maybe you have quit drinking altogether for this reason?

2. traveller22

traveller22 Fapstronaut

Hi there.

Alcohol is certainly a depressant - that's what you're experiencing. If you google it, you'll soon discover that your experiences are not unusual.

I would strongly suggest that you think hard about what you want to achieve in your life & set some boundaries with your alcohol consumption. Apart from be a depressant, it also reduces inhibitions & can easily eat away at your resolve to not PMO.

Everyone is different, but there's no doubt that taking any kind of chemical that has a tendency to make us depressed, is risky.

I wish you wisdom & power on the path to full recovery.

T22.

3. Seneca

Seneca Fapstronaut

I used to binge drink between 15 and 24 (I'm 27 now), and suffered from a series of major depressive episodes over that time. I can completely relate to the effect of alcohol sapping your soul, even for days after you got drunk. I found alcohol was dangerous on two fronts. One, it could induce major depressive episodes, even if it was a 'fun' night out drinking, it could throw me into a depressive phase the next week or weeks. Two, it was an escape from the seemingly impossible trap of depression. When I didn't know where to turn, or what to do to lift the burden, I would often start drinking in order to be functionally social, or maybe to kill my conscious mind for just a few hours. This combination led to some dangerous and sad cycles over the years.

I quit drinking about 2 years ago and it's been wonderful. Everything I could want. I have no exceptions; so I never have the stress of evaluating whether I should drink, how much I should drink, how badly I'm poisoning my body and mind. I genuinely feel good when I tell people 'No, sorry, I don't drink'. It saves you money, you feel healthier, you have more energy, you deal with emotional turmoil in a healthier way (assuming you don't substitute P or M to deal with emotions, which is a whole other problem).

I'd highly recommend quitting if you feel drinking alcohol is engendering depressive episodes and preventing you from progressing psychologically and health-wise. It took me a while to accept that I had bi-polar and my brain was 'different', but once I accepted that truth and acted in accordance with that truth, it was revelatory. It's okay to not drink, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

4. IGY

IGY Guest

Yeah, this is a no brainer - alcohol is a depressant. So, it is like asking: Is the Pope a Catholic? :rolleyes: