Getting started with photography.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by stickydude, Feb 7, 2016.

1. stickydude

stickydude Fapstronaut

Hey,

I am currently a student and I am looking to take some serious steps to get into digital photography, it is also highly connected with what I am studying right now. I would like to get my own cheap, entry level DSLR camera. So my question is:

Would Nikon D3300 body + Nikkor 35mm 1.8 be okay to begin with? Or is there better alternative in similar price range? I'd like to learn working with prime lens first and I've read this one is the easiest and one of the cheapest.

I'd be thankful for any advices :)

2. NoBrainer

NoBrainer Distinguished Fapstronaut

Hello! Fellow amateur photography enthusiast here! ;) I think that your suggested gear would be more than enough to get started with. Personally, I'd recommend getting a kit lens to start out with though, as then at least you will have a wider focal distance to play with and start to learn what types of photography you enjoy the most. Out of interest, what sort of photography are you interested in, and why do you want to work with a prime lens first?

stickydude likes this.
  3. stickydude

stickydude Fapstronaut

Thanks for your reply! :)

I was told not to go with kit lens, because they aren't as good quality as even cheap 35mm one and that is the quickest way to learn better composition and from then it will make it easier for me to use zoom lenses. I am not really that desperate for being able to zoom at this point, too. :D

I would like to focus on street photography, but as I have little experience just with the equipment I have borrowed from school I'd still have to figure it out. I was thinking that if it goes well with 35mm and I learn some theory from books I could think about getting better zoom lenses. :)