1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

IQ test

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Emordem, Oct 1, 2023.

1. Emordem

Emordem Fapstronaut

I started seeing a psychiatrist recently, and initially, the experience was good, but then the doctor started to neglect me and didn't seem to care. Anyway, I talked to him about the topic of studying, and he told me that I needed to take an IQ test. When I received the results, it showed that I scored 89, which is below the average. The appropriate mental age for me is 13 years old, but I'm actually 22 years old.

2. I'd suggest ignoring that psychiatrist and doing another kind of IQ test. It wouldn't surprise me if you got a much higher than average result. Then you could go on to not care much about your IQ either way

Emordem likes this.
  3. EmperorLaStrang

EmperorLaStrang Fapstronaut

Do you have difficulties taking care of yourself. Like microwaving things, managing your money or maintaining a job?

4. Emordem

Emordem Fapstronaut

I have difficulties sometimes learning new things maybe and getting of the addiction and many more

5. Something like ADHD is a possibility too. It's possible that the psychiatrist isn't right for you (or is just plain wrong about things too).

Even if your IQ is 89, that's only one point below the average range (90 - 110). I think if you did brain-training type exercises or something you could probably bring your IQ into the average range quickly enough.

IQ is only part of the picture. Learning difficulties, emotional difficulties, traumas and so on can affect many type of people, including geniuses! A high IQ isn't everything by any means.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2023
    Mara is back and Emordem like this.
  6. Emordem

Emordem Fapstronaut

If it is indeed possible to improve IQ, why do individuals with intellectual disabilities or Down syndrome not experience significant improvements? Personally, I am skeptical that such interventions would genuinely enhance my IQ; it seems more like an attempt to deceive or manipulate test results.

7. An article you might find interesting (American article so it uses a word that's offensive in many countries but not the USA):

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/02/06/us/inmates-rising-iq-score-could-mean-his-death.html

IQ tests aren't the most rigorously scientific things in the world (which could also be said of much of psychology in general). What if you had coincidentally spent the last year doing a lot of brain-training exercises before you did the IQ test? Perhaps you also did some hobbies such as language learning and computer programming? Maybe your IQ score would have been higher to some degree then also, whether that's manipulating the results or genuinely increasing your IQ or who knows really.

Emordem likes this.
  8. En?gmatic

En?gmatic Fapstronaut

IQ test is a scam, you understand the intelligence of someone only with nous, intuition, not certanly by mere and lable ''statistics''.

Emordem likes this.