Social Media v Real Life

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by toquitpmo, May 7, 2022.

1. toquitpmo

toquitpmo Fapstronaut

For some reason every friend I make in social media is more meaningful than real life friends due to that I don't have a single friend I feel it's not necessary when there is social media friendship where most people have same hobbies as myself...Am I thinking wrong?

JS44471 likes this.
  2. Mob Barley

Mob Barley Fapstronaut

Maybe in this stage of your development it's what works best. However, an in person friendship is 100x better than any IG follower you only talked to thru a screen.

3. iceman40

iceman40 Fapstronaut

Having a lot of friends does not change your life nor make you happier. It's nice to have a lot of friends and it makes us feel like we are loved. But actual true friends are far between. Most people are together because it gives them a feeling of false happiness.

I was on flight this weekend and was sitting next to an attractive women. Sitting in business class gives you more room on the chairs. So we talked for a brief minute, small talk, just to be nice. With most attractive women, once they start talking, it's about themselves and their success. I was not really interested in any of it. I have been with lots of women to know the pretty ones are the worse because they have lots of options, lots of desperate men out there. After about 5 minutes of her talking, I just put in my ear plugs and went to sleep.

The point i'm trying to make, sometimes it takes a while to find a good friend, and most people are passing by. Once you build your inner strength, you will attract good quailty people. Best wishes.

koolpal likes this.
  4. Peter.Parker10

Peter.Parker10 Fapstronaut

Social media shows you a bunch of fake "happy" lives. Connecting with real-life people will be more interesting to any healthy human being, it's just in our nature.

Of course, you need to connect with the right kind of people, if it's the wrong kind of people for you, then it won't be interesting.

5. I think so, it's just my opinion. If you want real life friends, just be interested in other people, help them, listen to them. Don't sit at home and press on the smart phone and think it will make you happy. You'll be deceived.

koolpal likes this.
  6. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

I do not consider anyone I solely interact with online to be a good friend. It's not the same as interacting with people directly.

7. Before social media, interacting was THE WAY. It didn't matter what job or industry. I probably worked for a decade before social media caught on. You always had to communicate with people. Sometimes you sold something, sometimes it was a foreman at a factory, sometimes it was a manager. It was just the way it was. Nobody could retreat and hide into a smart phone for fake validations.

TheGambler likes this.
  8. Mazda647

Mazda647 Fapstronaut

People can have whatever anti-stance on church and religion they want but nobody can deny that by avoiding them may people miss out on a perfect opportunity for a social gathering. Local churches, small halls and strawberry socials.

@LOSEmyselftoSAVEmyself

I can see part of the problem being too many people learn what they think socializing should be from books, TV, movies and video games. When they find it doesn't work like that they are at a loss. At least that is the way it was for me.

TheGambler likes this.
  9. It's a necessary transition.

10. TheGambler

TheGambler Fapstronaut

Yea no doubt. This is the key to the kingdom I'm trying to go to. I know from experience that no one is going to chase me down just cause I'm a human being (that I would want to be around that is).

My problem is I'm so inconsistent. It feels like if I try too hard I've just wasted time trying to fit in where I can't or won't. 12 step meetings are an exception, but even there a person who really grows will actually alienate a lot of people because of all the bad attitudes and general cuntiness of the people.

I'm jaded I know, but after listening to JP yesterday I'm gonna just mark a few of my accomplishments here real quick:

Homeowner
    Full time employment while working on a legit career
    Solid relationships with parents; much less conflict
    In therapy
    Long time sober from alcohol/drugs
    Some friends I see time to time

11. You have to remember that people in recovery are confused. People in AA or here have damaged their brains over and over. They need time to heal, they need to readjust to normality for a while.