1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The Burpee

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by FirefromAbove, Apr 17, 2022.

1. FirefromAbove

FirefromAbove Fapstronaut

I wholeheartedly believe that pushups are useless.

They are not a test of upper body strength but a test of how many push-ups you can do. I have never felt any carryover from doing 6 million pushups a day other than inflamed rests and aching shoulders.

However, an underrated cousin to the push-up is the burpee.

The burpee was designed by Royal Burpee in the early to mid 20th century and it was adopted by the U.S military to test cardiovascular endurance and strength.

I do burpees every day. I mainly lift weights but I am a strong believer in calisthenics as if you solely hit weights you can lose the ability to move your body while calisthenics can help you retain the gracefulness that comes from weightlifting without becoming muscle-bound.

It doesn't matter what lift I'm doing. Whether it be deadlift, squat, or overhead press there is always a burpee thrown in. I prefer jumping burpees as it helps build explosiveness.

In fact, I ran my fastest mile and half time of 10:48 by just doing burpees alone.

I suggest if you're interested in doing a push-up challenge instead substitute it with burpees as it will work the same muscles as a push up but you'll gain more benefits from the excercise.

I recommend checking out this channel:

https://www.youtube.com/c/IronWolf84

I'm going to try do 100 burpees every day as it is the least time-consuming than running and I feel it generates less injuries. Feel free to join me.

2. I agree but also disagree do pushups change anything? Not really. But are they better than doing Yoga? Absolutely! Anything is better than Yoga honestly.

3. DiegoSR

DiegoSR Fapstronaut

I use push ups bars and they are great to do pushups, no damage to the wirst and the range of movement is increased, so it's a bit harder but better. Have you ever tried them?
    Burpees are great, i usually do them before a run!

just finished a yoga session 10 mitues ago lol
    I think you didn't try yoga the right way o_O

FirefromAbove and IR254 like this.
  4. IR254

IR254 Fapstronaut

Yea, I agree! I have a bit of a love/hate-relationship with burpees. I love them because they are so damn efficient, but at the same time I hate them because they are brutal after a while. Burpees for sure a great thing to do on a regular basis and they really help with a lot of things (strength, explosiveness, stamina, etc). Just a great overall excercise.

No idea what kind of yoga you were doing, but yoga can be pretty damn efficient as well. It's just a different thing.

FirefromAbove likes this.
  5. hey mate i am sorry to say this but nothing in this world can replace yoga. I am not a yoga man but i have done yoga some days back and after the session i feel so much organised and calm. So never say things without experience.

DiegoSR likes this.
  6. USER_ERROR

USER_ERROR Fapstronaut

Push ups can be really good, i mainly do knuckle push ups, as it supposedly strengthen the bone of the hand but there is so many variations that writing them off as useless is really closing a lot of doors. Your own guy seem to use them a lot.

FirefromAbove likes this.
  7. shamrock19

shamrock19 Fapstronaut

Focus on the concentric with push ups and I think you can definitely get results with them especially by supplementing them with the bigger compound resistance stuff , go down super slow and push as explosively as possible

to be honest applies this to all your lifts/exercises for real improvement