1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I make friends without being in school?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Jan 11, 2022.

1. I am 20 years old, and am a full time realtor. My business is pretty much exclusively with people that are at least 10 years older than me. All my friends from high school went to college and I lost touch... except for 2 friends that are in college out of state, so I really only see them holidays and breaks. They're great friends, but I only see them a handful of times each year and our interactions are fairly superficial.

I have nothing in common with anyone at work/any clients. All my relationships there are strictly business. I feel like I have 2 personalities: my "work" face, and my real face.

The lack of friendships/real human connection in my life is taking a toll on my mental health. I have a girlfriend who I have seen since high school, and part of me feels like the only reason I am still with her is because without her I would have nobody. She doesn't do the whole "diving deep" thing. She feels more like a friend at times than a girlfriend.

What should I do? I have considered getting a part time job just to meet people my age, even though its completely against my current goals. Do I really need friends to be happy? How do I find happiness if every single day is spent alone?

2. Ianb15th

Ianb15th Fapstronaut

I feel for you man. Making friends as an adult is extremely hard but definitely worthwhile.

Maybe start with a list of your interests, or hobbies or hobbies you don’t have yet but are interested and see what kind of groups you can find on social media?

For example, as a male of a certain age, I’ve found that golf is a pretty universal thing. A plurality of us have likely played it at least once, and I’ve found that if you play with people who don’t take it too seriously it’s waaaaay more enjoyable than it otherwise sounds.

Pros: you get to be outside, drink (if of age), shit talk (to a degree) and have some golf cart shenanigans.

But this could also be applied to whatever you happen to be interested in!