excercise advice

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Ninjacan, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Ninjacan

Ninjacan Fapstronaut

Hey, I'm looking to get back into doing some more excercise, but I don't have the disposable income right now to rejoin a Gym. I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations of something I could use for free online? I know my wife used to use sparks people, but it felt like that was just all cardio stuff, I want to do a little more like, pushups and musle toning stuff, but I don't really know a lot of exercises that don't use weights lol. Any advice would be appreciated! thanks :)

2. Steam engines are good I use them everyday.

Asgardian36 likes this.
  3. Firstly, you're bold asking for exercise advice! You're opening yourself up to a verbal barrage of advice... hehe

That being said, I work with a former professional body-builder; during his career he was asked literally thousands of times for advice. He has only one philosophy he shares.

#1 When you plan your workout, give yourself X (he suggests 45) minutes. No more, no less. Set the timer and when it goes off, BE DONE.

His rationale for this is that training yourself to be consistent (and gain a long term appreciation for the benefits of daily exercise) is far more efficacious than finding the best routine.

Just a thought, I hope it helps! I've designed several at-home dumbbell routines based on that philosophy - if you're interested, pm me and I'll send you one :)

strugglemode and Asgardian36 like this.
  4. DaAce

DaAce Fapstronaut

Personally I would suggest you get yourself a pair of dumbells, maybe a 5Kg pair.. although the cardio workouts do work you might feel better working out with weights, but they do have some workouts without weights as well. Please check their channel out.

You can find the video below

They teach you the right & easy way to exercise, its just a suggestion though...

5. Ninjacan

Ninjacan Fapstronaut

Thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it guys

Asgardian36 likes this.
  6. Mycharel1976

Mycharel1976 Fapstronaut

I just finished a round of BodyBeast and am starting a second one...I use dumbells and a bench but you can use resistance bands and an exercise ball, they are a lot more economical. I've gotten fantastic results, you workout 6 days a week, and the instructor is very motivating (and he cracks me up Lol).

You can also find a lot of good stuff on Youtube if you look up AthleanX...I really like his videos. I think if you search his page you can find a whole playlist of workouts you can do at home (and for free!)

Good luck!

Asgardian36 likes this.
  7. TetraVaal

TetraVaal Fapstronaut

There's a lot of exercises that you can do at home without much equipment. A pullup bar is pretty much all that you need! This site is really helpful for body weight exercises!

8. sirfapstinence

sirfapstinence Fapstronaut

Check out Calisthenics on youtube. The following channels are great and its the best and most enjoyable way of working out. No money or equipment needed and there are tons of guys online with workout routines for you to follow.

Check out
    BarBrothers
    BarbrothersDK
    Barstarrz
    Corey Hall
    Brendan Meyers

I've been doing calisthenics for almost a year now and I couldn't care less about going to a gym. I've progressed a lot and each day I set myself up for a challenge which is what makes this fun.

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. If you don't have access to a gym or can't afford a gym membership, you can work out using your own bodyweight at home! I've been doing calisthenics/street workout for awhile now, just came back from an injury layoff and it's really effective while being very accessible! YouTube has lots of calisthenics channels that can give you lots of helpful tips and information, but I would also like to give you a couple of tips.

Three moves: push-ups, pull-ups, squats. Basic movements that you probably learned during PE class in school, if you don't know them, go check them out online. They work your entire upper and lower body! Remember to always warm-up and use proper form so you don't get injured! There are many variations of those three movements that will continue to challenge you as you get stronger so you can always make progress.

Generally, you will get stronger, have more stamina and look better (and so on, but keep it simple). Don't forget nutrition and sleep, you want to live a healthy lifestyle! If you stay consistent and put in the effort, you will achieve whatever you set your mind to! ;)

sirfapstinence likes this.
  10. NotSoHolyFool

NotSoHolyFool Fapstronaut

I'm on a pretty thin income at the moment, too, but I made a similar commitment to getting in better shape and I purchased some basic weight equipment: squat rack, bench, some used weights. I pulled out a pair of sawhorses in lieu of a spotter. (In retrospect, I would recommend a power rack if you can find one in your price range.) I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 (free online--just search for it). (I recently changed to 3x5 to save time, because the workouts were getting too long. 3x5 is much more doable time wise when the weight starts getting heavy and the rest times get longer.)

Anyway, if you can make a one time investment of $300-$500 (maybe less if you look out for affordable used equipment) it'll save you $ in the long run over a gym membership. With some dedication, consistency, and the right diet, the results can be fantastic.

11. Tomtwiffic

Tomtwiffic Fapstronaut

7 minute workout app on iPhone. Check it out.