1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Recovering Addict That Needs Support

Discussion in 'New to NoFap' started by Tacticooldude, May 17, 2015.

1. Tacticooldude

Tacticooldude Fapstronaut

Story Time:
    The whole 19 years I've been on this earth, I've been a member of the LDS Church. If you know anything about the Church, you know that anything to do with PMO is a strict no-no. Despite that, I was an addict, and I'm still recovering. This summer would've been 7 years if I hadn't made the decision to stop Now.
    My reasons for wanting to change are varied. I've always known I shouldn't be doing what I was, for religious and practical reasons. I was constantly wasting time, it made me chronically tired and lazy, I was going against my religious beliefs, and it was all making me an irritable and sad guy. I'd only made a couple small attempts to stop that only lasted a couple days. On April 10th I had a series of experiences that changed where I wanted to go with my life, and I needed to stop PMO in order to get there. Before then I was PMOing usually multiple times a day. Since April 10th I've PMOed somewhere under 10 times, with my best streak being 16 days.
    I've talked to my Bishop about the issue (he's like a Pastor or Priest for those who don't know). But no one else even knows about my addiction, so the only support I have is him and the Holy Spirit (I'm not trying to push my beliefs on anyone, I'm just telling you what I'm experiencing). Those two figures are awesome, and I couldn't have gotten where I am without them. But my goal is complete and total abstinence, and I need people to talk with that understand what I'm going through. So, here I am. Although I'm not happy about the fact that I got so deep into addiction I had to find even more resources to overcome it, I feel privileged to live in a time where such a tremendously supportive community exists to help me overcome my struggles. Thanks everyone!

recovering onanist likes this.
  2. kikstart

kikstart Fapstronaut

Welcome to the place were we may not all be from the same country but we all talk the same language.
    ( I don't mean English.)

3. Hi there, @Tacticooldude,
    Welcome to the forum. It's a good start that you have the support of your Bishop, and you will find lots more support from like-minded men & women here. The Holy Spirit is the very best inner guidance we have. I am not a member of the LDS Church, but, much like yourself I am motivated to quit for religious reasons.
    It's really encouraging that you feel that keen motivation to stop - stick with that motivation - especially during times of temptation, and keep on listening to your inner guidance.
    I pray that you will find the strength & support you're looking for here - I feel sure that you will.
    Every blessing.