Share your avarice for knowledge.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Arcture, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Arcture

Arcture Fapstronaut

Hey folks. So I'm a health physics student and its always interesting to hear what people are learning. Tell what you are learning, what you want to learn, and why?

What I am currently learning is radiation biology which goes over the effects of radiation or ionizing particles on the biology with an emphasis on ionization on DNA structures and general medical imaging. I want to eventually learn high energy physics because cosmic rays sound fascinating but that area of particle physics hurts my brain.

Note: This doesn't have to be science or anything related, just share what you're learning.

Deleted Account likes this.
  2. Getting a degree in math to become an actuary. I'm not as smart as the physics guys though.

3. CodeTalker

CodeTalker Fapstronaut

Learning korean. The big plan is to learn korean first, then learn japanese using korean and then learn chinese (mandarin) using japanese. I'm intermediate level in korean and beginner in japanese. Every day I'm learning new words and talking with native.

The reason for this order is simple : Korean has an easy scripture system and the grammar is similar to japanese. And japanese have kanji that are chinese characters.

I probably won't get to the chinese part in my life though...

4. Arcture

Arcture Fapstronaut

That sounds awesome man! Math is a ton of fun and I think you probably don't give yourself enough credit as thats not an easy major but a real important one.

5. Arcture

Arcture Fapstronaut

Sounds super interesting man, I tried learning Korean but I didn't have the commitment to learn it, my gf is super good at languages though.

6. Thanks man. For some reason, I don't think I'd be happy if I had an easy major. Maybe I'm a masochist. Or an elitist.

Arcture likes this.
  7. Arcture

Arcture Fapstronaut

Or maybe you just thrive on the challenge. Its much better for you to have an adversary (in this case math) that will make you grow stronger and better prepare you to push forward through hardship. This means you won't fold under pressure when the really challenging things happen. Such as NoFap.

8. Well I'm on the verge of folding right now haha. You see, I'm the kind of person who passed all of middle school and high school and some college math classes based on memorization and luck. And now I don't remember anything, yet I'm in advanced classes. Kind of sucks.

9. Turbine engine theory and swept wing aerodynamics. Interviewing for an airline job soon so I'm getting a head start on ground school.

Arcture likes this.
  10. Arcture

Arcture Fapstronaut

Sounds fascinating. What is your favorite part of that so far?

11. Arcture

Arcture Fapstronaut

Its not a bad thing to ask for help.

12. I'm really amazed at how intuitive the turbine engine is. It seems like something we discovered rather than invented. And the fact that you can tap into the engine compressor section via air bleed to pressurize the aircraft and actuate the deicing equipment etc, really blows my mind man. I'm excited to have a pair of these engines at the palm of my hand.

13. BlindSisyphus

BlindSisyphus Fapstronaut

Isn't the whole idea of a turbine engine to have as many vanes as possible at as many different points of expansion as possible so as to most efficiently use the expansion of your fuel/steam? Makes a ton of sense to me, but not in a nature did this sort of way, more in a derivative vs limit not approaching zero way.

14. Stator vanes, yeah. They're not unlike an impeller in a car turbocharger. I don't think the compressor blades would be very efficient without the vanes. The turbine section uses the same concept too, only in reverse

BlindSisyphus likes this.