1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

The what and how of happiness and Joy

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by properWood, May 31, 2019.

1. properWood

properWood Fapstronaut

I see quite often people say "I want to be happy", and almost never do they say "I want to be joyous". And there are some subtle differences.

Happiness is influenced by external factors. If I get a girl, then I will be happy. Having that watch will make me happy. I'll happily drink that glass of wine tea. The condition of your interior emotional wellbeing is dependant on things and situations that are coming from outside. This also puts the person in a position of having expectations that can be easily unfulfilled: if I get that car I'll be happy, which means that I will not be happy if I don't get that car, but get one that I perceive as lower in status.

Joy, on the other hand, is influenced by internal factors. It is a feeling that's cultivated internally, it comes when your feel no discontent, when you are at peace with yourself. When your state of mind and your inner emotions are aligned and not dissociated from each other.

Joy can be a state that can last for very long period of time, whereas happiness is fleeting, as it depends on getting something better than before or than someone else has, it requires a comparison.

Sinbad, bikinhappy and Reborn_ like this.
  2. Reborn_

Reborn_ Fapstronaut

I agree with what you are saying, but words are only words. The activities you listed under happiness are things that release dopamine or give pleasure, where as the things you listed under joy are more about mindset.
    The quote in my signature says something similar.

3. Indian Oak

Indian Oak Fapstronaut

The battle between dopamine and serotonin