1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I wish existence wasn't pointless

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 7, 2019.

1. ZenAF

ZenAF Fapstronaut

I'm just parroting what thousands of wise men said before me. ;) No, I don't meditate regularly. I tried to incorporate it into my life many times and it never stuck. But it's a useful skill to have when stuff goes too far south.

Fixmybrain likes this.
  2. Animate Vibration

Animate Vibration New Fapstronaut

The world hasn't gotten smaller, your world has. If you're bereft of meaning then go find some and stop claiming that life is pointless just because you can't find a point right now; jeezus you're barely an adult, you barely know anything yet. You don't even need a "belief system" for that, you just need to believe in something.

3. What’s got your panties in a bunch?

4. Animate Vibration

I'm annoyed because you're talking like you know shit and go around saying life is pointless from an "objective" standpoint, which it's more likely just naive materialism. You don't know what you're talking about, you're 24, that's not even old enough to have a midlife crisis, at best that's a quarter life crisis which every twenty something has, a crisis of meaning when they're starting to grow up.

5. I clearly said quarter life crisis if you read my posts. I never said i’m a know it all and I was seeing if anyone could resonate with the way I feel through my words. What’s really pointless is getting mad over some online post from a stranger

6. Animate Vibration

Well that's what you get for saying stupid edge lord crap on the internet, someone telling you that you don't know what you're talking about and you're being dumb. Here I'll call you on your bullshit, if you truly thought life was pointless, you would not be alive now because what's the point right?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  7. That's your opinion--I just do what feels good. Still doesn't mean it isn't pointless in the grand scheme of things. Would any of your long term goals really matter if you got hit by a bus tomorrow? Sure they matter to you now, but ultimately they don't matter

8. I struggled with existential depression for years. I still do, but I've made significant changes in my thinking and it took years to figure it out. Maybe if I tell you what I did it may help?

First, I had to stop placing value on value. Value is not valuable. I started placing value on things that I wanted to be a part of my life, but couldn't find a good enough reason to. Fitness, nutrition, chores, personal hygiene, are all things I now place value on.

Second, I had to accept that life was pointless, but there's nothing wrong with this. Believing I needing some kind of purpose was overwhelming me and keeping me in a rut. Even if I had that purpose, would not that purpose be pointless too? Focusing on my destination was keeping me from living life. I needed to focus on the journey. If i wanted to get to the destination, I had to focus on the journey. Just improving on myself is enough to make me much happier, now.

Third, there is an optimistic side to this. It's not just the good things that are pointless, but the bad too. There's no reason to worry about silly things that don't matter, no reason to not take healthy risks.

You're already here, though, so you mine as well try to make the most of it. My purpose in life is to do better than I was yesterday and work on myself. Remember too, you have to learn how to walk before you can run. Take any massive goals and break them down into smaller ones.

Getting significant clean time from various addictions also helped these thoughts. I went a month without cigarettes and then caved and bought some. Even after one smoke, I went back to my old thinking. I relapsed on M last night, and I started to get depressed like this again, but I have enough clean time, that relapsing on M once, doesn't send me back too far.

Oh, and don't let dumb people keep you down. It is a REQUIREMENT to have a higher IQ to struggle with "edgelord shit." Let me know if you have other questions. Asking me may be worth the risk, even if the result is pointless.

9. Animate Vibration

How... American of you, do what feels good, you'll quickly find that it doesn't give much meaning if you don't know that already. My meaning matters, even if I died tomorrow, it still gave my life meaning today and tomorrow, and that matters much more than merely living longer. I learned that from people who have had experiences you and I could hardly imagine, I learned that from Bozo, he was a street artist that George Orwell knew when he was on the streets, they both nearly starved together in absolute poverty. He used to paint houses, and was fairly respected for it, he had a wife who was pregnant with their first child, his life was great until she died; she was run over by a carriage and the baby died with her. Bozo lapsed into alcoholic stupors and fell from his work ladder which crushed the bones in his left leg from which he was lame afterwards. He lost his job, his wife and child, and his home and for the rest of his life was on the street afterward. But, he still found meaning and even beauty, he saw the stars every night, he found interest in people, and he found meaning in the moment. So, forgive me if I don't take your internet post seriously when you live in a life of extraordinary decadence compared to any other point.

And Logical Chaos, don't be a puss and be passive aggressive. Call me out by name, he can have an existential crisis all he wants, I'm just telling him his conclusion is wrong and the dumb edge lord shit of a naive materialist and I wouldn't care if both of you viewed only your lives as pointless (which you probably don't) I only care that you claimed all life is pointless. So please, keep you bullshit on yourself plenty of other people are perfectly happy finding meaning where you can't. Or you can keep calling me a low I.Q. individual like an "enlightened" prick.

10. Lol...you were obviously projecting when calling him stupid. All I did was act like you by calling you low IQ. To be fair though, I wasn't hurting your feelings by insulting you, I was denting your massive ego by trying to be honest. Get over yourself. Existential depression is a mental illness. You act like we chose to start thinking this way. Why are you getting so butt hurt? Because edgelord shit reminds you how insecure you are about your intelligence? He's trying to ask for help for his illness and you're being an asshole. I have no pity for your fragile feelings. Just because you need to feel smarter than you actually are, so you can feel superior to others, doesn't mean I do to, you enlightened prick.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2019
    Fixmybrain likes this.
  11. Thank you. What kind of 29 year old has an avatar like that anyway lol, but what do you recommend man? How do I get past this chit? Glad I'm not alone

Deleted Account likes this.
  12. Did you read my earlier post? His avatar is him getting triggered by other people on the internet lol