How do I eat healthy when my family does not? Any tips to staying healthy?

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Deleted Account, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Throughout my entire life, I was raised in a household full of junk food. I have been eating the standard American diet for as long as I can remember. But I realized that the foods I was eating was giving me all kinds of problems without me even realizing. Even though I've been skinny my whole life, that doesn't mean I was off the hook.

Today, for dinner, I had beer-battered cod and some tater tots. I was already having dread but peer pressure led me to eat that crap anyways. As a result, I felt like shit afterwards.

No, I don't wish to go vegan or anything like that. I really want to maintain my flexitarian diet but the problem is that my family's eating habits and choices are making it hard for me to stay healthy.

I tried to make a detoxifying smoothie but it tasted extremely bitter to the point where I had to dump it out due to the taste of cinnamon overpowering everything else. It really sucked.

So, do you have any tips to surviving in a household where everyone else eats junk food? Any tips for maintaining my healthy diet and not giving in to shitty processed meals? I end up hating myself after eating those kinds of meals.

P.S. I also ran out of some superfoods so I can't make anymore of the smoothies I want to make which really sucks.

2. IGY

IGY Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Fruit is really good when you get the munchies. Rather than biscuits, cakes, sweets, chocolate or whatever you like, buy some fresh pineapple chunks and eat them chilled from the fridge. Clementines are sweet and juicy as are green or red grapes. A banana is a great snack food. Pears are a nice alternative to apples if you've found those boring over the years.

3. VivreLibre

VivreLibre Fapstronaut

I'm in the process of reading "4 hour body" by Tim Ferriss and he had some suggestions that I really liked. I've been looking to develop an all around, sustainable healthy lifestyle ever since I quit playing soccer. The 4 hour body gives you some flexible and easy to follow guidelines.

His first suggestion is to record everything you do. for example buy a little notebook where you can keep track of all your workouts or exercises. He then says to take a picture of everything before you eat it. this will give you not only a collection of food you eat (you'd be surprised at what we eat and not even think about) but it will also give you a moment to pause and ask yourself "do I really want to put this in my body?"

heres the section from his book copied word for word....

"""the fastest way to correct a behavior is to be aware of it in real time, not after the fact. the curious case of the so called "flash diet" is a prime example of the difference. Dr. Lydia Zepeda and David Deal of the university of Wisconsin-Madison enlisted 43 subjects to photograph all of their meals or snacks prior to eating. Unlike food diaries, which require time-consuming entries often written long after eating, the photographs acted as an instantaneous intervention and forced people to consider their choices before the damage was done. in the words of on participant: "i was less likely to have a jumbo bag of M&Ms. it curbed my choices, it didn't alter them completely, but who wants to take a photo of a jumbo bag of M&Ms?"
    The researchers concluded that photographs are more effective than written food diaries. this is saying something, as prior studies had confirmed that subjects who use food diaries lose three times as much weight as those who don't. the upshot: use your camera phone to take a snapshot before opening your mouth. even without a prescribed diet, this awareness alone will result in fat-loss"""

HegHeu likes this.
  4. HegHeu

HegHeu Fapstronaut

Thanks for sharing this with us.

VivreLibre likes this.
  5. Discipline Is A Virtue

Discipline Is A Virtue Fapstronaut

Dang! The idea of taking a picture of all the food you eat is genius.. nobody wants to take a picture of a jumbo bag of Eminem's! :D

I like that a lot

VivreLibre likes this.