Just had my first SAA meeting - Any others here in a 12-step?

Discussion in 'Compulsive Sexual Behavior' started by HolonParticle, Dec 21, 2018.

1. HolonParticle

HolonParticle Fapstronaut

Just got back from my very first ever 12-step SAA meeting wanted to open a discussion about later game tactics, experiences, triggers, and tools to forward my momentum on this reboot/permanent recovery. What are the most valuable tools to keep you mind out of the gutter? How about fighting the "gravity" from an attractive woman? Mental exercises? Open to it all. I want to crush this addiction.

2. Theamos

Theamos Fapstronaut

Iv been a 12 stepper since 2012
    It works for me
    Mainly having someone sponsor and ppl to call helped the most

3. HolonParticle

Do you still have urges, triggers and have to fight yourself or does it get easier?

4. Theamos

Theamos Fapstronaut

Of course i do
    It does get easier the longer you go tho but I occasionally will see a pic and want to chace tho Urges

ryan23 likes this.
  5. PhilJay

PhilJay Fapstronaut

I've been in a 12 step SAA group since May. It helped more when I got a sponsor. Stick with it and go to as many meetings as you can. Good luck

Theamos likes this.
  6. Mitsuro

Mitsuro Fapstronaut

Well done. Best move you will ever make. Get a sponsor, follow their suggestions, work the programme to the best of your ability.

CowardlyLion and Theamos like this.
  7. going up

going up Fapstronaut

well, whats working now , for me, 4 days in, is im fasting. yup. no solid foods. just juices, water and my urine. : ) ive lost 5 pounds so far. im doing another parasite cleanse too. papaya seeds. they work. im reading a good book now. less tv. i take naps when ever i like. i bike out into the desert and howl. my guide likes that. i notice the world i live in. i peek at people to see if my soul knows them. i say thank you a lot. in the midst of some stink thinking ill stop it and return to gratitude. i witness myself from a foot or two away. ive wasted a lot of time. but i will use my past to help the family. im being redeemed. thank you.

HolonParticle and Theamos like this.
  8. I'm in the program. Use every tool you can.

9. Mattsfreedom

Mattsfreedom Fapstronaut

Good job on going to a saa meeting. My local meetings it seems there's not a lot of long term sobriety and the few there that are are overwhelmed with trying to sponsor new comers. The saa book is a good read.

HolonParticle likes this.
  10. Theamos

Theamos Fapstronaut

Our group got real small and since I was the only one with any sobriety I was sponsoring a lot

11. HolonParticle

Interesting technics...I haven't tried a fast...I also don't have the luxury of napping whenever I like. I do recognize the amount of time I've wasted. I guess a lot of it is mental discipline. I feel like there's a dent in my brain that's trying to "pop itself" out into the correct shape. Really difficult to do.

12. HolonParticle

Thank you it was a little strange since its a mixed gender group. First 12 step meeting ever. A little depressing, but also helpful. I will continue to go, cannot say I am a fan of the "god" part of it...but I can dig "Higher power" or something to substitute the christian nature of it. Anyhow, I do see the benefit

13. HolonParticle

Anything in particular that stands out? I don't have the book yet...but I do have a bunch of the pamphlets and brochures that I've been reading. Kinda makes me feel like I'm worse off than I actually am.

Deleted Account likes this.
  14. Mostly the one day at a time and the call lists have been the best. Defining your problems with the three circles is helpful. There are a lot of guys in SAA with significant lengths of sobriety that inspire me. Face to face interaction is really good. All meetings aren't created equal and you should always go at your own pace and using your own judgement on what is a problem for you. Dont take your cues from what people tell you is a problem. Listen, reflect and be guided where you think it helps.

Trappist and HolonParticle like this.
  15. HolonParticle

Thank for that. Reflecting on my first meeting...I feel like I'm almost being brainwashed into feeling that I'm worse off than I actually am. Did you feel like that when you first began your program?

Trappist and Deleted Account like this.
  16. My experience was and continues to be that sometimes I feel like my problems are minimal compared to the stories I hear. No one makes me feel bad though. If they are trying to make you feel worse off that doesn't sound like a good group. I also hope this is happening after the meeting. There really shouldn't be any singling out during the meeting while people share.

17. Maybe it’s observing your part of step one?

Ie., Admitting I am powerless over my addictive sexual behavior and that my life has become unmanageable?

Step one is hard, but so essential.

Get. A. Sponsor. Ask to have one offered to you and get started.

I found the promises a very hopeful reading at meetings:
    upload_2019-1-1_13-20-18.jpeg

Deleted Account likes this.
  18. ryan23

ryan23 Fapstronaut

Can be a great safe space to open up to a community of people. Nothing like a face to face gathering, and another resource to help the process of recovery!