1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Make a better version of yourself!

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by Mike110sta, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Mike110sta

Mike110sta Fapstronaut

So I am in a rebooting process, 11th day today. I have a question! Actually I'd like to know your opinions and your experiences during your rebooting, and more important than that, about self improvement. Because now that we are trying to get rid of this stubborn PM, and according to some users whose posts I have read here, we should replace PM with other activities and hobbies.
    Have you ever experienced procrastination, hesitation, lack of motivation and getting stuck in a boring work/home routine? I dont mean the withdrawals and symptoms of rebooting. after all, we cant put every bad characteristics of ourselves on PM! :p (at least this is a case about me to be honest)
    So my question is how do you suggest to change these bad habits of procrastinating and hesitating in making decisions and to try to live a more active and productive life if, like me, you are suffering from these things too ? :)
    because I am really sick of these bad habits :/ I have lost many good opportunities in my life because of procrastination and hesitation and being satisfied with what I am (not that I am not good enough lol, I mean it is a long time I have stopped trying do make any significant self improvement) and I want to change, to change to a better version of myself in every aspects.
    Thank you for sharing your experiences and your solutions...

2. msfreedom

msfreedom Fapstronaut

First of all, congrats on making it to 11 days! You're doing good.
    I was also a serial procrastinator :p , and I haven't exactly stopped procrastinating now either. I think that PMO and procrastination are very interrelated, at least in my case. I used to PMO about once in two days for a long long time, and used to procrastinate everything; even the smallest of tasks like washing a mug I had my coffee in (my sink is 2 ft from where I sit).

I think just doing NoFap doesn't get you out of the habit of procrastination, but it definitely makes it easier. Right now I'm on my day 25 (I think), and I can see that I'm procrastinating less than before. The thing is, you need to make conscious efforts to not delay tasks. Like instead of thinking of doing your laundry "later sometime", do it now if you aren't working on something more important!

I believe that we procrastinate because of some sort of anxiety. We would feel some pressure or stress if we do a particular task, so we postpone it until we cannot postpone it further. In the process of doing that, we're essentially taking that free time from our future self.

One of the things that I've been doing which helps, is waking up a bit sooner than before, and getting that task done which is currently the most difficult thing I have to do. I can't always get myself to do it, but when I do it, my day goes WAY better. I feel very energetic and motivated just because of that sense of accomplishment I got in the morning. It could be writing a piece of code, or watching a few lectures online, or starting to work on a report. Some people call it "eat the frog". If you had to eat a frog, what could be worse? The analogy is, if you finish your most daunting task, what could be worse? Also, you have the maximum willpower to do anything in the morning when you wake up, and it slowly goes down as the day goes by. I'm sure you would have noticed that. You're more likely to cook a meal in the morning than at 10pm. The idea is, to put that willpower to use in the morning! I actually never had a bad day on the days when I did this thing in the morning! See if that works for you :)

Cheers

PS: I've made a post about how and why some habits are difficult to lose.. maybe it'll help you too! https://www.nofap.com/forum/index.php?threads/all-about-dopamine-and-pmo.192653/

Mike110sta and Deleted Account like this.
  3. Mike110sta

Mike110sta Fapstronaut

Thank you. I like the idea of waking up early. Actually I am an early morning person but had not thought about accomplish something important just after I wake up. I usually just start my daily routine stuff sooner when I wake up early morning. I'll definitely try to do that and see how it works. Also I read your post about Dopamine, it is informative, thank you. I agree with the results that working out could have. I used to work out almost everyday and felt that good feeling you saying about, but again, lack of motivation and I stopped it like 9 months ago.
    My problem is mostly keeping myself motivated, which I mentioned in my question as well.

msfreedom likes this.
  4. msfreedom

msfreedom Fapstronaut

Although you'll find many quotes and sayings about how to keep yourself motivated, I think if you want to be motivated, you need to find the reason why you're doing this. It might take you some time to figure out the "why", but once you find that one reason for which you're willing to go so far, things get easier.

Mike110sta likes this.