1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

I am extremely sad over something that happened last night.

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by TravelingJourneyer, Sep 10, 2018.

1. TravelingJourneyer

TravelingJourneyer Fapstronaut

I met a woman on a dating app, and I really have started to feel something for her. I haven't met her yet, so I could be getting catfished, but who knows. We have talked for a few weeks now.

She recently found out a family secret. Both of her parents have an incurable, deadly disease, and there is a possibility that she has it as well since they had it before she was born. She said she is getting tested for it.

When she told me this, I was devastated. I had really started to feel something for her. I know now that I got too close to a woman I never met. I cried when I found out, I cried this morning, too. Crying is something I have been doing a lot these last few months. In a way, I hope this is an elaborate catfish, it would hurt less that way I think.

2. Ra's Al Ghul

Ra's Al Ghul Fapstronaut

Sounds like a russian mail order bride scam.

3. Your being catfished. The next email will be about sending money to save them all . MOVE ON FROM THE SCAMMER or if your bored and want to get some payback for there scamming act like your going to send it just to string them along.

u376 and Contentful T like this.
  4. TravelingJourneyer

To be honest, that isn't where this is going I don't think. The disease is one that money can't really help much since it is a chronic disease, she knows I am broke anyway, and I approached her rather than her approaching me. Still, I hope I get that message, then I will just be mad rather than sad.

Edited to make a little more sense.

5. TravelingJourneyer

Lol, I don't think so. She is legit I think. We are friends on Snapchat, I see her post pics with her family all the time. She used to live in my home town, but she ended up leaving due to some of her own personal reasons.

6. TravelingJourneyer

I think the main reason I am sad is because I am probably going to call all of this off before it even really started. I like her, a lot, but some of her family is totally insane and possibly hazardous to my health. I don't need to be involved with all of that. Still, it hurts like crazy, to the point where I am thinking about leaving everything behind so I can get a fresh start. I don't have much to leave behind anyway, to be honest.

Edited for clarity.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
  7. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

Dude. You met her on a dating app. For all we know it is a fake account.

It isn't healthy to get that attached to a user you never dated on a dating app.

Headspace and Amazing Athest like this.
  8. Contentful T

Contentful T Fapstronaut

Wow. Who knows. Talk about internet friendships.

Not my bag baby. Are you saying you don't know if your friend on Snapchat is a fraud? Is this healthy to engage in such relations?

I guess I missed the Snapchat fever thankfully being older than those who got infected.

Headspace likes this.
  9. It can be good to talk these things out with others and get input. My input is that we today are taking "internet friendships" too seriously. If you were to meet this woman face to face and truly connect in a healthy way, that's one thing.

But IMO, shouldn't give your heart away over an internet connection where there's low commitment and it's easy to deceive others. Don't give your heart away until you're sure there's full commitment on her part. And you can't get that assurance with just communication over the internet. There has to be real life situations that you both go through together where you see that's she's committed to you and she sees that you're committed to her.

Headspace likes this.
  10. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

What do you mean by "leaving everything behind"? According to your profile, you're 19, just starting out in life. All you need to leave behind is her, or the needs that you hope to have met by her. May be somebody else might be able to deal with her illness, but judging from your reaction it seems like you wouldn't even be able to love her that way, right? I agree with the other users. that it is too early to feel that way about someone you haven't even met in real life. Take this as a lesson in online dating, or in your own needs. That's all.

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. TravelingJourneyer

I'm talking about leaving everything I have ever known behind, going to a new state, starting a new life, that sort of thing. This place I am in makes me unhappy. I already got kicked out of home by my mother and had to move about three hours away to live with family.

It's not that I wouldn't love her because of her possible illness, it is because I couldn't. It is an infectious disease. Being involved with her, having kids with her, etc, could result in my early death. This is a big if too, maybe she isn't sick at all. Still, her life and some of her family is kind of crazy, and I don't want to be involved in that.

The part that makes me the saddest is that none of this is her fault. Even though she is innocent, I still am going to have to break her heart since I think she has feelings for me as well. I already did this about a week ago with another woman I wasn't as close with because she was a little too crazy for me. That hurt me to do, even though it was her actions and behaviors that caused me to end things. Breaking the heart of a woman who is innocent of the things I am ending the relationship because of hurts more.

Edited to fix a few errors.

12. TravelingJourneyer

She is real, I found her on Facebook. Knowing she is real just makes this even harder.

13. CTRL + DEL

CTRL + DEL Fapstronaut

Let's get back to the issue at hand here- no PMO.

Nobody can help you with this issue, sorry. I recommend you post things like this in a journal.

We can't give advice because we don't know of she exists. A facebook account is as real as a snapchat account.
    We can't help you, because this goes beyond the realm of advice and comfort.

But i get it- you want to vent :) That's okay. And it's not off-topic. It goes in a journal. Start one :)

14. SorryWontSayIt

SorryWontSayIt Fapstronaut

Hi,

You sound like a really great person who cares a lot for other people! Thats good. But there are a lot of bad shit happening in this world, and we can't do anything about it. We have to keep moving forward no matter how much bad shit happens.

I don't know if it is real or not, but if it EVER gets to the point where she asks for money (or support in that way) - DO NOT GIVE HER. I know you want to help, but then I am sure it is a scam.

Also I have seen other people find scams like this. Scams can be very well put together with facebook pages included. Be careful, and don't get to attached to someone you have only met trough the internet. The person can be a lot different in real life. Maybe she is going trough shit in her life and have those problems - but she can still be a whole different in real life in other ways.

15. MLMVSS

MLMVSS Fapstronaut

It’s not hard to create a fake Facebook account. But you need to worry about your own health and happiness first and foremost, and if that means getting a new start, then take it. Quit being held hostage by how others would feel if they’re not being abused by your actions.

16. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

If you really want to prove she is real, ask her to send you a selfie with your name written on a piece of paper, or any other message that she wouldn't be able to photo shop

17. SanSolo

SanSolo Fapstronaut

In any of your communications with her has she happened to mention the name of this deadly disease? I would think that would be an important detail. What reason would there be not to?

Deleted Account likes this.
  18. its called shameless GREED

MLMVSS likes this.
  19. TravelingJourneyer

Yeah, I wouldn't give her money. If she asked for money, I would know that she is a scammer.

Deleted Account and RobbyGo36 like this.
  20. TravelingJourneyer

Yeah, she told me, but I don't want to say it here since that is her story to tell and not mine.