1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Why Suicide Isn't Selfish

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Aug 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. moonesque

moonesque Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Saying suicide is selfish isn’t a statement that puts ‘blame’ on someone, given that suicide is an action that is taken by an individual by definition even under any circumstance. Even if that was the intention, blame doesn’t automatically make someone or some thing right or wrong, unless perhaps if you believe the action is wrong. Perhaps you mean to say that people
    who say suicide is selfish are indeed saying that the act of suicide is wrong? Then more so the job is to explain why suicide is not wrong.

So maybe instead what you are saying is that, it is not correct to say that those who commit suicide are bad because they have no control? or perhaps that they simply are not bad people?

Being selfish even does not make
    someone bad either, even if I believe that no one can actually “be” selfish, they can only act that way.

Given the struggle that Ive had with suicide over the last 15 years, sometimes daily, I still actually havent figured out why one would commit the deed. It isnt an unbearable amount of pain, I believe it is something else.

Quite frankly, it scares me to think that I might learn that answer someday. All I can say is to meet the concept of suicide with empathy and empowerment to those who think of it. Ive heard that many think of suicide because they want everything to disappear or pain to cease. What if we could help others understand they can have the ability to change that?

2. I think human nature tends to group people into clear cut boundaries and say every one that’s done or tired something is always like this or that.

I don’t 100% agree with you about suicide. I think in some situations suicidal people are like what you’ve typed out and in some situations they’re not.

Everyone isn’t the same, not all situations are the same.

ClearAsMud(Al) likes this.
  3. No one is suggesting that suicide is "all bloody sunshine and rainbows", or that it should "celebrated... or even accepted".
    Well according to your criteria, I can speak on this topic. Additionally, I have the added experience of having recurrent major depressive disorder and emotionally unstable personality disorder, borderline type (BPD). The combination of these specific disorders place me in the highest category of risk from death by my own hand. Does that mean that that people with comorbidity of a depressive illness and BPD are more selfish than people in general or others with alternate diagnoses. Surely, you can see that would be an unreasonable conclusion. I have had serious attempts to kill myself three times and several impulsive efforts. To date, I have always been resuscitated, rescued or intercepted.
    Your opinion on this, seems strangely at odds with the formal wording of UK inquests (as I mentioned in my post). You seem to feel that the person that is mentally disturbed and unbalanced would be incapable making a suicide plan and enacting it (including a suicide note). Yes, they are conscious decisions, of course they are. But they are made by a mind disturbed and unbalanced. I do not believe that a person that "killed himself while the balance of his mind was disturbed" can be judged as selfish.

4. What I went on to say...
    Have you never heard of an insanity defence or diminished responsibility?

5. Queen_Of_Hearts_13

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 Fapstronaut

6. A couple of things about me: I work in the mental health field, and I have suffered from depression most of my life. I think I would have to agree with most of your points, but maybe not the main one. I believe that depression is a kind of delusion - it is an inaccurate belief about the world, about yourself, that you nevertheless strongly believe to be true. When you're depressed, you believe all kinds of bad things about yourself, about the world, that aren't true. If you take these beliefs seriously enough, or if it feels like there is no way out, then suicide could become a reasonable and rational option, albeit one based on faulty premises.

I think that people can and do commit suicide for selfish reasons:
    1) Some people commit suicide to get "revenge" on other people, to hurt other people. This one is definitely selfish
    2) Some people commit suicide to "end the pain". This one is also definitely selfish
    3) Some people commit suicide in order to "not be a burden" on their loved ones. This one might appear not to be selfish. However, the loved ones might not see it that way, and they might blame the suicidal person for not taking their thoughts and feelings in to account, so in effect the suicidal person was really just taking their own thoughts and feelings in to account, i.e. being selfish.

This selfishness is not a moral issue, though. Here the selfishness is part of the sickness, part of the depression, part of the delusion. So I don't believe that we can hold the suicidal person morally responsible for their selfishness here (an exception to this would be for, say, suicide bombers committing acts of terrorism). The depression, the suicide, is a kind of tragedy.

Also I would say that selfishness is not in itself a bad thing. A person can be "selfish" and be taking care of oneself, can be willing oneself to having a positive outlook, etc. This can be done while also really taking others' thoughts and feelings in to account too. These are the kinds of attitudes that we should be encouraging in the depressed, suicidal person, to be selfish in a good way, as well as really taking others in to account

7. Queen_Of_Hearts_13 likes this.
  8. Queen_Of_Hearts_13

Queen_Of_Hearts_13 Fapstronaut

Good read, and yeah I know what it's like to be suicidal, I have come close to attempting it years ago but was too scared to. Plus I want to live my life and kick ass haha so I try to stay positive.

Deleted Account likes this.
  9. Thanks for your comment. :) It struck me that:

The REALLY selfish thing to do, is to stay alive! :eek:

What could be more selfish than self-preservation, right? :rolleyes:

10. Your post made me think. For example, I agree with you that, "I think that people can and do commit suicide for selfish reasons". However, I regard it as the exception, not the rule. That is why I cannot agree with the sweeping and judgmental generalisation that people that take their own life are selfish. So, how about your three itemised points (above)?

1) It sounds selfish. But I couldn't think of an instance where this has occurred. Could you give an example to ponder on?
    2) I disagree that this is selfish (as a pejorative). This is where: "A person can be "selfish" and be taking care of oneself."
    3) It may not appear to be selfish to loved ones, but the person is convinced their act will benefit their family and friends.

It is not easy to presume, hypothetically, the mind set of someone in acute mental distress. I suggest that those who conclude that suicide is selfish have not experienced the level of extreme distress that can trigger such a tragic act.

In some cases, there may even be a subconscious wish for survivors to absolve themselves from responsibility for the desperation of the individual. Often, as humans, we can attempt to square a circle. When a death occurs, the instinct to apportion blame is strong. How much more so, when the method of death is so unexpected and shocking i.e. self-inflicted.

If they do not find a way of blaming the individual then they might feel persecuted with doubts about, "what if I had done this or that, they would not have taken their life." I can understand this emotional reasoning. But that fear may be true! That person may not have felt that there was only one option left, if they were spoken to and treated with compassion. :(

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2018
  11. Hi IGY,
    I think for #1, let's say you feel like your parents don't love you enough or something. You feel angry and resentful about this. You decide to kill yourself with the mindset that "now they'll finally appreciate me when I'm gone". You're trying to take the hurt and anger that you feel, and make others feel it too.
    I agree with your analysis about the mindset of survivors, thanks for the reply

12. dodalala

dodalala Fapstronaut

Suicide is not selfish because a human has no say in being brought into this world and it's by the selfish act of parents that bring them into it however it should not be easy to acquire the means to carry it out though as sometimes what people who want to kill themselves actually want is a solution to the problem causing them to want to resort to ending it.

life is like a scale on one side you have the shit of life and on the other hand you have the ability to cope with that shit, when something causes the scale to go out of balance to the shit of life side being the heavier side and somebodies ability to cope with that shit being outweighed people will tend to resort to suicide as they have no foreseeable way to fix the problem.

Now the reason suicide is not legal is because sadly if you die that's one less tax payer supporting the system.

Deleted Account and winterjay like this.
  13. To the people who think suicide is a responsible way to handle the matter
    are you guys saying there is no other practical alternative for solving the problem?

Suicide is a sad and unfortunate situation but in the end you agree with the outcome? Would you rather have seen that person overcome what they were going through or you deem it as impossible?

Just curious to know because I personally believe suicide is never the answer. (Doesn’t mean I look down upon people who have done it but just wish no one went through with it)

14. So just to be clear you view life as a gift or a selfish act of parents?

Suicide should be legal and anyone’s choice/right?

15. dodalala

dodalala Fapstronaut

i view life as a selfish act of parents but i'm not saying it in a negative light but rather using the word's literal meaning to say they acted in their own self interest. This is why i think if someone has a deep routed desire to kill themselves because they resent the life they have been forced to have then yeah they should be able to die without having to go to extreme lengths like throwing themselves off buildings or blowing their brains out.

I'm however also advocating for measures to be put in place so that if someone wants to kill themselves as a permanent fix to a temporary problem then they can't do so. A friend of mine tried to kill himself after the first girl he ever dated broke up with him, luckily the police got to him before he was able to go through with it and now 4 years later he laughs at how much of an idiot he was and thanks the police for stopping him before he made a irrational choice in a unstable emotional mind state.

16. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

This is going with the assumption that everyone who commits suicide is depressed. Which I don't agree with. This is also going along with the notion that if your depressed then there is nothing you can do about it which is also stupid.

Suicide is never a justifiable answer... regardless of how clinically depressed you are. There is always help for those who suffer from a mental illness and there have been a dozen cases of people who have turned their lives around by seeking proper help.

Suicide is selfish because when you want to commit suicide, your only thinking of yourself. You don't really think about what kind of torment your family will go though after you're dead.

From a moral standpoint you did not bring yourself into life, therefore you have no authority to end it, the same as you have no authority to end someone else's life.

17. winterjay

winterjay Fapstronaut

I totally agree with the OP.

The only selfish people are those that want to control people prolonging the intolerable suffering of others (like they were entitled to forcing them to undergo unbearable torture) only for their own personal comfort.

FX-05 likes this.
  18. dodalala

dodalala Fapstronaut

This is completely wrong; a person has the highest sovereignty of themselves and thus has the right to decide what they themselves do, we call this free will. I am a individual and i alone have the final say on what i do with My life. If i purchase a car i decide what to do with it because it is mine i may have to follow certain rules but i am the one who decides to follow them or not such as i do with my life.

winterjay likes this.
  19. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

Do you own your own life? is it a property? how did you go about purchasing it or earning it? your life is not something you've put work towards where it gives you the right to use it however you please. your life is not a right, it's a gift.

If you had no authority or put any sort of effort into bringing yourself into existence, how can you then say I have the authority to end it? You may have the power to do so, but you do not have the authority. Just as I have the power to end someone else life, but I do not have the authority.

You have the authority to do whatever you want with your car because you've purchased it. You put effort towards buying it. But last I checked none of us here decided to be born.

20. winterjay

winterjay Fapstronaut

Who says so? Please show me the video that shows this giver of life giving life to me, and saying that it only gives it to me in exchange of my slavery -or something similar. I don't really know what you are saying.

If you can't produce evidence of this, please, produce instead a demonstration, final and irrefutable, like that of the existance of infinite prime numbers or of the irrationality of 2^1/2, or of the Theorem of Pythagoras. If you ask me, I could give life to someone or something just so that this being enjoyed life or did whatever it liked. Or to entertain myself. I don't see the contradiction.

If you can't, please understand how it seems like it's more a personal idea of yours instead of something that's provably and definitely real.