Do you trust Rotten Tomatoes or Metacritic before you decide to watch the movies?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, May 6, 2018.

1. Critics score: Critics analyse the script, acting, directing, visual effects/CGI, writing, pacing, etc. Most of the time, the critics are correct about movies that is either acclaimed/good or panned/bad. These are the things the movie audiences don't notice right off the bat.

Audiences score: It's just a popularity contest. How often have you seen somebody try and argue that a poor-made movie (Rob Zombie's Halloween and Batman v Superman, for example) is "great"? Happens too often for me, both reality and Internet, and I'm not comfortable calling myself a movie buff, just an casual movie audience. Obviously isn't a guarantee of quality though.

When I want to buy and watch a movie or not, I would rather check the score on Rotten Tomatoes if the movie is good or bad before paying. If the critics score is 60-100 percent, I would watch and love it. If the critics core is 0-59 percent, I would avoid a movie at all costs. I just want the well-crafted movies like Star Wars: The Last Jedi, Alien Covenant, The Shape of Water, Interstellar, and Crazy Heart.

2. I don't trust either. Art is subjective. There are some objective standards, which is why I would trust a critic score slightly more than an audience score. But still, I've watched and enjoyed plenty of movies that critics didn't like. And I've also watched plenty of movies that critics or other people loved and I didn't like. I don't let other peoples opinions determine whether or not I will see a movie and decide for myself.

Moon Shot likes this.
  3. yaaarp

yaaarp Fapstronaut

I don't bother - if I want to watch a film, I don't pay attention to what other people thought of it.

4. Al_pk9

Al_pk9 Fapstronaut

It's a pretty good indication for anything other than black panther

5. I don't look at either or any review in fact, because I've seen more rubbish movies than I can count even though they appearently were amazing. Everyone is different and I personally don't like most mainstream stuff, so how I decide is if I see a trailer and the film looks compelling or good I'll just watch it without looking it up.

Deleted Account and Millenial like this.
  6. Nah, not at all. I've seen and enjoyed many movies that critics or people close to me said were worthless. I know what I like so if the plot or subject matter seems interesting, I'll probably check the movie out.

7. u376

u376 Fapstronaut

i watch only those movies whose imdb rating is equal to or more than 7.5