1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Fear of dying every moment before fulfilling one's purpose

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by pmotina, Apr 2, 2018.

1. pmotina

pmotina Fapstronaut

hey!!

at the moment, i'm struggling again with that constant fear of dying every moment before i could possibly fulfill my purpose.
    the reason for that could be that i'm struggling with depression and due to that my life has been stagnating for such a long time now. i mean, sure, i made some progress here and there but i'm definitely not where i want to be. i don't seem to be able to take action.
    i catch myself trying to connect more with god and practicing gratitude and everything in order to make him let me live a little long and protect me from dying too soon.
    also, time flies SO FAST. i am so afraid of waking up at the age of 85 or something one day and realizing that i didn't do ANYTHING.

any advice?
    does anyone has experience in that?

nervous greetings x

im_alive likes this.
  2. asbgca

asbgca Fapstronaut

Hey there! Yeah I do. A big part of my depression is obsessing about death and how meaningless life is. Then I get paralyzed and not able to take action because everything seems so BIG and so DIFFICULT, and besides everything ends eventually so what's the point right? so like you I've stagnated for a long time and I'm not where I want to be in life.

My first advice: always remember that these are FEELINGS inside of you and feelings can change. 'This too shall pass.' You might be feeling sad, or afraid or depressed. These feelings are inside of you. They are coloring your whole world and stopping you from taking action. You can change these feelings by changing the way you think. Gratitude is great! But try to do it because you really appreciate something, like a good meal or a good job. God will decide on his own when to take you, leave that to him. He knows best. You just do your job of following your goals and taking care of your life and the people around you. If you're committed to your goals, God will give you the time you need to achieve them. Don't worry, have faith and look forward.

Second: don't run from your depression and fear of death. Stay with them, breathe deeply and look at them in the face. We all die, there's no way around it. And we're all afraid of death because it's the biggest unknown. Instead of worrying about dying, be grateful about the life you've been given. We're born to live, not to die. Everyone dies, but life is what matters in the end. When you bring gratitude to your fear and depression, you will change these feelings into positive ones.

Also give yourself compassion. What you're going through is very difficult and painful. Death means losing everything that matters to you. That sucks! It sucks that you have to go through this. And you're not alone. We all go through it, we all think about death and worry that it might take us too early. Nobody can escape it, but we can do our best while we're alive. Eat healthy, take care of your body and build healthy habits. Treat people well and work on your relationships. Take care of yourself. Hold on to your goals and do something to achieve them every day (even if it's small).

Death can become your best friend. Not because you want to die, but because it teaches you how short life is. Time flies FAST, you're totally right. You only have a bit of time in this life, so why waste it? Why not make the best of it? When you know you're gonna die, you start asking the important questions: What really matters to me in life? What's worth achieving while I'm still around? What are MY biggest assets that I can offer to the world? How can I make a difference? WHO matters to me? WHOSE life do I want to change? How do I want to be remembered after I'm gone? What's getting in my way right now that I need to overcome? What action (big or small) can I do TODAY, RIGHT NOW to get myself one step closer to the life I want?

Once you start accepting your fear, death will get you moving. When you ask yourself these questions (and keep asking them) the answers will start coming. And then you'll start building the life that really matters to you. Life is more important than death, remember that.

chiyu and pmotina like this.
  3. pmotina

pmotina Fapstronaut

these are the exact words i needed to hear! thank you so much! i hope i manage to change my perspective.

asbgca likes this.
  4. asbgca

asbgca Fapstronaut

I'm glad it helped :) I'm passing on things that have helped me over the years. Change takes time. You gotta be patient and accept this. Just take it easy on yourself and focus on small actions, one day at a time. Be persistent but stay kind to yourself. Leave the big stuff to God for now. You'll get there when you're ready, and then it won't seem so big anymore. Treat yourself well because that's what God wants from you. He loves you and wants you to love yourself. Treat yourself the way you would treat a good friend. Look at Jeremiah 31:3:

'The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.'

Love yourself in the way God loved you and you won't go wrong. He doesn't put anything on your shoulders that you can't handle. Look at 1 John 4:18: 'There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment.'

Somebody gave me a link to some self-compassion exercises. I thought you might like them. They are helping me turn God's love inward to myself, so I can learn to open my heart and love in the same way.
    http://self-compassion.org/category/exercises/

pmotina likes this.
  5. I know first hand that depression can be all consuming and paralyzing. However, I'd recommend putting together a vision board or bucket list of things you want and want to do...start just scribbling words feelings on paper than add photos etc.
    From here take small steps and use that fear of death. Maybe you wanna be more outdoorsy and climb mountains...put that on the board and realize starting may mean a 10 min walk outside.
    You're not likely just gonna decide to one day just go out and skydive from a plane (or maybe you will) but if you have some extra cash maybe check discount sites and if you see a deal use this fear of dying without doing anything as an excuse to pull the trigger and make a purchase.

pmotina likes this.
  6. ProwGalatiansHS

ProwGalatiansHS Fapstronaut

It is important to find the christian church like the Catholic church and to go the path that it teaches for salvation. This path took me to this forum actually. Now I found you. So you see the path of the faith is here also. So while nofap.com is a good forum to stay more chaste in everyday life. It is also important to understand that when the straight road of the Catholic church takes you to a problem. Like educating yourself or going to work constantly. Then that could bee seen like a battle of Westerplatte (in Poland during ww2), as the saint pope John Paul II said.

pmotina likes this.
  7. pmotina

pmotina Fapstronaut

I'm sorry but I didn't understand what you just wrote. Would you mind rephrasing it?

Deleted Account likes this.
  8. I don't fear death at all, I don't get the angst. I'm more afraid of being broken. I do a lot of dangerous hobby tho.

9. What if your purpose is to die?

10. 9DADEFF5-A4F1-48DE-A662-B25100677D9E.jpeg

Deleted Account likes this.
  11. Halustra

Halustra Fapstronaut

The patience part is what noone pays attention like today i was so close to turning back but then i was like "you are supposed to be bored, the neurons have to slowly change"
    So its just patience i think

patience....