College grades

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Deleted Account, Mar 16, 2018.

1. I am a junior at a University. My GPA for all six semsters is 2.86. It's a little low and I am worried about grad school prospects. I have been dealing with depression and PMO addiction during my time at school.

The fact that I don't have much time left, and the fact that I can't redo my college experience is giving me bad anxiety. My spring break is almost over and the though of going back is making me feel anxious and depresed.

I really don't know how to feel better or make it better. My life is in shambles and I honestly don't know how to make it better. Some days I just want to quit. I am trying to make it better but sometimes it feels hopeless.

Has anyone on here managed to get into grad school with a similar GPA? I smell open to ideas.

Thanks

2. Watchtower

Watchtower Fapstronaut

I finished college with about a 2.7 GPA and have been thinking about going back to graduate school. Really wish I would have gotten better grades. You are lucky to have the opportunity to boost your GPA, take full advantage! Either way, there are some graduate programs out there that you could still get into with a low GPA.

3. While I'm definitely not saying you should just give up your dreams, I think it would be healthy for you to realize that not going to grad school, or even not being able to have the career you've always dreamed of, is not the end of the world or the end of your life.

If you are healthy and live to a good, old age, life is long, and as Cat Grant of Supergirl says, "you will be many different people before the end of it." Many people have experienced tragedies that have turned their life upside down or made it to where they couldn't have the thing they've always dreamed of. People who always wanted to be a mother have found out they were sterile, my dentist who loved his job became a quadriplegic and could never work with his hands again, etc. But there are so many different avenues in life that might bring you joy. So even if you try your hardest and grad school just doesn't work out, that's okay. There will be other options and other opportunities that come along that will surprise you. You might even find something that makes you happier than your original plan ever could have.

Don't lose hope on grad school, and continue to do your best, but also don't put too much weight on that one course of life, as if nothing else could ever be worth while. Don't make your career plan an idol. Be willing to let go, if necessary, and know that you'll still be okay.

MellowFellow and Watchtower like this.
  4. If my career doesn't work out.... I will take my life. Either that or I become a sociopath and just make a lot of money.

5. Well, that's incredibly unhealthy, and if that's true, you need to seek serious professional help.

6. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

I think your above statement is quite revealing, deep, and insightful, uncovering even for you the very answer to any or every problem in your life, addiction or otherwise: Don't define yourself, your self worth, or your happiness by what can be earned, by career, or by money. If your true center of happiness transcends these, then earning, career, money, etc., are not the things that define you or make you happy. So, why even give yourself over to these false promises that can never fully fill or fulfill your deepest self, even if you had them all fully. You'd still be dressed, sociopathic, and void of happiness and the will to live.

Deleted Account likes this.
  7. JamesMC89

JamesMC89 Fapstronaut

Please seek professional help. At the very least your University should have a counseling department that is willing to help, trust me. They will understand your stress level and worries about graduation. Most counselors study addictions as well and should be of help to you.

I recently self medicated myself through grad school with PMO. Mix that with procrastination and insomnia resulted. Brain fog, poor social skills, and a decline in my overall confidence. It can be quite a struggle.