1. Welcome to NoFap! We have disabled new forum accounts from being registered for the time being. In the meantime, you can join our weekly accountability groups.
    Dismiss Notice

Are psycologists really able to help people with depression?

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by zxcv, Nov 8, 2017.

1. zxcv

zxcv Fapstronaut

I've gotten to 115 days of nofap before, but I didn't notice much of a change.

2. Menta_Na

Menta_Na Fapstronaut

Well i wouldn't give up hope honestly if i were you. i think it would be wise to continue on with nofap. i would also recommend you continue with medication, if it even helps a tiny bit that is better than nothing at all.
    Starting a consistent daily meditation habit is also extremely helpful, you want do at least an hour a day to get some real benefit, and it takes time.
    try DBT instead of cbt, it may help, and try to find a psychologist that has a good record of success with their clients.
    Lastly the most powerful thing you can do is continue to educate yourself. read some will durant, or some psychology books. the happiness trap is a good one. Take it upon yourself to learn what you need to feel better and be more like you want to be. The answers are out there, but you have to find them yourself.

I really hope you are able to get better and turn things around.

3. Physicist

Physicist Fapstronaut

no, especially if they suggest a pill to fix you. Run!

The only way to "cure" depression is relentless action. Get there and life is bliss.

4. To put it into a single phrase: yes they can. I have had a depression, i did a therapy and it helped a lot. But in fact i didnt took medecin. I was: but the sideeffects has been horrible so we decided to give it a try-out without... It can need time to find a therapist that fit!!! Its not as if each therapist, or each form of therapy is necessarly good for you!!! This is something very important: its an "art" to find the one that fits - unfortunatley...

Menta_Na likes this.
  5. risefromashes

risefromashes Fapstronaut

Its a VERY unclear field.

I went to a psych for 4 months this year, paying out of my own pocket. He verified what i already knew which was that bad parenting had lead to me forming all of the issues which plague me day to day.

But in the end he pretty much ushered me out the door as i wasnt a suicide risk or a danger to anyone that makes me a low priority and he pretty much said just call him and make an appointment if im in crisis.

Frustrating as i thought he would actually be able to give me like a step by step plan to change but not so.

There are a few out there who really "get it" and do offer programs and plans etc but the cost is.... unrealistic.

In the end i think its just going to be a case of massive self work and commitment for months if not years on end that will get us out of this... i think we all want a quick fix but there just isnt one

6. SolitaryScribe

SolitaryScribe Fapstronaut

amen brother