Want to put on muscle

Discussion in 'Self Improvement' started by FrogPype, Sep 27, 2017.

1. FrogPype

FrogPype Fapstronaut

Hey guys I’m looking for some weight lifting and general health advice here. While doing my full reboot I’m going to go more in depth with lifting than I have been. I want to fill out so I don’t look like a damn string bean anymore. 6’2 and 155... I wanna be more muscular.

I’ve gotten into lifting again recently but I want to maximize my gains as I can only lift 3 times a week. Can anyone make some dietary suggestions and workout suggestions? Really looking to be lean but not a fuckin stick figure. Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

2. Sirkingington

Sirkingington Fapstronaut

Find a good tdee calculator. It'll breakdown the calories by marconutirents. Use a tracking app like myfitnesspal and you need to stick to it.
    It'll probably break down to 30% energy by protein, 50% carbs and 20% fats.
    Remember energy in> energy out is weight gain
    Energy in <energy out is weight loss
    Energy in = energy out is maintain.

Don't look at it per day but per week, calorie counting can drive you crazy and eating food you like is important to keep on track. so as long as you balance over the short-med term it'll be ok.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  3. Got to Overcome

Got to Overcome Fapstronaut

One popular program I've had success with is Madcow 5x5. It's a program which focuses on the Big 3 of powerlifting (Bench, Squat, Deadlift). You only lift 3 times per week for approximately 45 minutes per session, so it's definitely not very time consuming. It is considered an intermediate program however, so if you're not comfortable with your technique, it might be advisable to start with a program designed for beginners or hire a trainer for a few weeks to make sure your technique is on point. An Internet search will link you to plenty of information about the specifics of the program as well as calculators.

To put on size, you've got to increase calorie consumption. It would be helpful to know exactly how many calories you're currently consuming, so perhaps start a food journal for at least the next week. Once you have a clear idea of the number of calories needed to maintain your current size, it'll be easier to plan out your diet.

As far as muscle-building foods are concerned, be sure to eat plenty of lean meats, nuts, eggs, etc. Sweet potatoes are a good vegetable to consume. A good way to increase calories is a bowl or 2 of oatmeal with peanut butter mixed in. This can get a little boring to eat, so an alternative is to make a shake and drink it. Oats, peanut butter, bananas and a scoop or two of whey is a good muscle-building shake.

As mentioned though, it's essential to increase calories if you wish to gain weight, so the first priority is to figure out the number of calories needed to maintain your current weight and then eat at least 300-400 calories above that for steady weight gain.

4. SupBruh

SupBruh Fapstronaut

Like the above said just eat above your maintenance, no need to track calories or macros if you have a balanced diet (i.e. cook and eat at home).

Workout suggestions, for 3x a week just go with Ice Cream Fitness, or in fact any beginner program with some accessory work thrown in.

Or you could just skip legs and do an Upper day, and then Push and Pull the other two days. :)

5. Sirkingington

Sirkingington Fapstronaut

That doesn't make any sense, how do you eat at maintenance if you don't know what it is?

6. SupBruh

SupBruh Fapstronaut

Eat more than usual and track your weight

I.e. if you usually eat 3x day, start eating 4x day and see how much weight that gains you

It's not rocket science

7. CompulsiveCrab

CompulsiveCrab Fapstronaut

Eat whole food carbs; bagels, wheat bread, pasta, steak. You might get to a point wjere its difficult to overeat to gain weight but keep pushing. Take a creatine. And of course a whey protein. There's different types of slender figures I've seen people blow up within 3 months and I've seen people on a bulk who look cut as a mf. At the end of the day it is a journey and everyone is different. Showing up to the gym consistently is half the battle.
    As for workout keep to 5-10 reps. The lesser the reps should be heavier weight. Also consider incorporating squats and deadlifts. Visit bodybuilding.com forum

8. I did that. It's really cool to pack on some muscle. I did 4-5× a week for 3 months, and gained from 190 lbs to 205 lbs. I'm tall, like you, and I saw a noticable difference. Not to big or anything but not a stick figure. I weigh more than that I bet though.

Well if you're doing 3x a week then you would have to divide that up. For me, mon&thurs are triceps/chest, tues&fri are biceps/back. Those alternate per week and wed is always leg day. Sometimes sat I'll throw in cardio. And abs I try to do everyday or everyother day.

As far as food, I bought whey protein from walmart and drank one before and one after. Then I ate alot of protein and carbs, alot of meat. I didn't measure calories or fat, I just ate alot most of the times. Eating alot is probably the most important thing.

As for the workouts, type in "5 best chest workouts for mass" into Google. Click on the link of that title to bodybuilder.com . There's blue links for best workouts at the top for abs, chest, back, legs, etc. It ahows you what excerises and how many reps to do. Although, I usually just do 5 sets of 8-12 reps. You should maintain correct form for all reps and around 12 rep range you should max out by then. Rest 30-45 seconds.