Office Prayer Group

For Fapstronauts of the Catholic Christian Faith

1. sparkywantsnoPMO

sparkywantsnoPMO NoFap Moderator & Yeoman

Welcome to the Divine Office Prayer Group. Before I explain, here is the link to Universalis, which houses a copy of the readings. It's at the top for easy access:
    [​IMG]

We recommend you read through the "About Universalis" if you've never prayed the Divine Office before. Then, begin with one set of readings, such as "Office of Readings." As you gain experience, add the morning and evening prayers. Feel free to leave a line or two about what you gained from the reading.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    nhdude likes this.
  2. sparkywantsnoPMO

So here's a link to the free side of Universalis (the difference is using non-copyrighted translations) http://universalis.com/n-aboutmain.htm. They have explanations of all the different prayers. So it seems we could start with one easy option - 1) choose one of the short midday prayers. 2) Users agree to pray morning or evening, or 3) Pray the office of readings once at any time of the day.

I'd suggest maybe posting 1 or 2 lines about something you got from the prayer that day.

I added a banner that will autoupdate at the top post of the thread. Right now it goes to an informational "About today" page. Should I have it goto the office of readings instead? I can even have it goto the version with the introductory psalm.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2017
    Longinus and nhdude like this.
  3. nhdude

nhdude Fapstronaut

OK. I am very familiar with the Divine Office and will commit to starting a daily prayer of Lauds and Vespers. I hope others will join.

Longinus and sparkywantsnoPMO like this.
  4. aartvark33

aartvark33 New Fapstronaut

I am Syriac Orthodox, and I would love to join in on the Office Prayer Group! I will be using the book of common prayer of the Syrian church by Bede Griffiths and the Qleedo app which gives the Syrian hours of prayer free in English. I will keep all of you in my prayers and my the Lord God bless us on our journey to freedom.

Longinus, nhdude and sparkywantsnoPMO like this.
  5. sparkywantsnoPMO

If there’s a website with this, I can include it. Please share the link.

6. sparkywantsnoPMO

Monday 11 Sep Office Of Readings - Today, what spoke to me was the reading from Jeremiah. At the end it reminded me that God has His will, and we have our free will. It is possible to choose poorly.

——

Thank y’all for responding. It was the push I needed to start myself. Thank you.

Longinus likes this.
  7. Longinus

Longinus Guest

I will start with a daily intention to do vespers and compline.

nhdude likes this.
  8. nhdude

nhdude Fapstronaut

Tonight's Vespers reading is from Romans 12:9-12 and it spoke to my heart. As we continue on this journey, brothers, remember St. Paul who tells us "Rejoice in hope, be patient under trial, persevere in prayers."

Longinus likes this.
  9. sparkywantsnoPMO

Vespers - Psalm 124(125) - Kind of drove home for me the desire to do good, as the Lord will support us.

Also the prayers: "You do not allow us to be tempted beyond our limits; strengthen the weak, raise up the fallen."

Longinus and nhdude like this.
  10. sparkywantsnoPMO

Vespers 13 sep 2017

We are assailed by doubts, and weighed down by uncertainties,
    release our hearts, to journey towards you with hope.
    – Lord, grant us your love.

It’s a humble reminder to ask for help on this journey to recovery.

Longinus likes this.
  11. Longinus

Longinus Guest

Mea Culpa, I've been doing completely horrible at this challenge. Thank God for a new day to try again!

12. nhdude

nhdude Fapstronaut

My brother, if it is time that is getting in your way, may I suggest you start small and stick with Compline before bed. Once you get into the habit, then add on offices as you see fit.

I will pray for you tonight.

13. sparkywantsnoPMO

Is compline the night prayers after vespers?

14. knighterrant

knighterrant Fapstronaut

Hello!

I'm new to these forums but I've read the various hours of the divine office off and on for some years now. A website and app I found helpful was iBreviary.com and the iBreviary app for android and iphone. It is nice having it on one's phone so one can pick up an hour if they happen to have time regardless of where they are and it is totally free. The Franciscans of the Order of Friars Minor maintain the app. I believe that they maintain various important sites in the Holy Land.

I first got into the divine office 5 or so years ago when I was recovering from some serious medical issues that left me with a lot of time on my hand and not much in the way of structure. I thought to myself, what would be the best way to structure my time and edify myself through Christ. Then I found the divine office. I've learned so much through this practice and I feel as though I have grown in my Christian life.

Sorry to ramble. I wish you all the best in this challenge and hope to read or say a few offices each day with you. ^_^

Longinus, sparkywantsnoPMO and nhdude like this.
  15. nhdude

nhdude Fapstronaut

Yes. Compline is also known as Night Prayer which may be recited anytime after Vespers but ideally right before bed time.

16. sparkywantsnoPMO

Compline 9/14/17 I liked 1 Th 5:23 blessing

17. Longinus

Longinus Guest

Thank you for your prayers, brother!

Compline 9/14/17 has been said. Enjoyed verse:

1 Pet 5:8-9
    "Brothers: Be sober and watch: because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, goeth about seeking whom he may devour. Whom resist ye, strong in faith"

18. sparkywantsnoPMO

9/15/17 Compline. This wasn’t a happy one but reminded me we all have trials, some very painful.

Longinus, knighterrant and nhdude like this.
  19. nhdude

nhdude Fapstronaut

The psalm for Matins today is Ps 117, one of my favorite. It reminds us to turn to God in our need and to praise him when he frees us from those things that distress us. I often find in PMO that I am not turning to God in prayer when I struggle or only after the fact. We need to pray when we are most vulnerable so that we might pass the test.

My prayers include all of you.

20. sparkywantsnoPMO

None 9/16/17 - I liked the passage from Micah reminding us of the simple things.

Longinus likes this.