Does any male write poetry ?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Discussion' started by Islanders190, Oct 6, 2016.

1. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

I was thinking of writing short love poems just for the heck of it but a part of me feels its not manly to do so.so does any one write any poetry at all ??

2. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

Hey thanks man I really I appreciate your comment will do. I know I read somewhere how some of the greatest poets to have ever lived were men, but for some reason it's now seemed like a not so masculine thing to do. I'm trying to tap into my creative side but when I write one I will gladly post it up
    tan

Awakeatlast likes this.
  3. Consider what many women feel about the poetry of Shakespeare or Keats or Frost, and then ask yourself if its manly or not ;)

4. Wanderer90

Wanderer90 Fapstronaut

You know, historically, there is such a thing as a "warrior-poet." In old Norse and Germanic traditions, warriors, who were, most of the time, male, were often applauded and hailed if they were both great poets and warriors.
    You know Sun Tzu, the Chinese mercenary general? Yeah, the guy who wrote The Art of War. That book is not only solid advice on warfare at that time, but it's also a work of poetry.

Now, knowing that... Why the fuck would you think poetry is "unmanly"? I've been writing poetry and song lyrics since I hit puberty. I know a lot of modern day people don't understand this. But here's what I think; I have a beard and I am growing my hair out again. Most men in modern times have neither. However, back in the olden days, it was far from uncommon for warriors to have beards and/or long hair. Hell, in some cultures it was even considered unmanly *not* to have them. I choose to do these things and adopt a certain look because *I* want to. I honor myself, my ancestors and my emotions through the use and creation of poetry, music and visual art, as well as not being ashamed of myself, even in the face of people who do not understand because of a cultural norm.

Tl;dr: Stop giving a shit about what modern-day society thinks of X or Y and do what you want, as long as you're not actively hurting anyone for the sake of it. THAT to me is the mark of a *real* man. I know I'm sounding like I'm trying too hard to be a badass here, but seriously, I've had to work through this too, because girls used to ridicule me in High School for this. As long as you honor yourself, you are more manly than half of the guys that are just trying to fit into a mold.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  5. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

Do whatever you want, screw the haters, if it makes you happy that's all that matters.

vxlccm and Wanderer90 like this.
  6. Aces

Aces Guest

It's a sad day when someone would think poetry is unmanly. Obviously they've never read the great works of Andrew Dice Clay.

Wanderer90 likes this.
  7. Mywifesbabydaddy

Mywifesbabydaddy Fapstronaut

Part of being a man in my opinion is doing whatever the fuck you want to do without worrying about what other people think about it. As long as it's constructive of course and in this case poetry is very constructive. I agree with Jen look at all the great poets who were men. Shakespeare, what if he was too shy to write poetry, who would bore the hell out of us in English class? :D.
    But seriously do what you feel do what makes you feel good, if other men hate on you they're just jealous because they don't have the same creativity as you do. Not to mention all the girls that will flock towards you with your poetic wit.
    I agree with sruff, men are conditioned, at least in my culture, to not show emotion or feelings, it's the machismo in us. Look at all the artists who have written great songs, which are pretty much poetry. Don't sell yourself short, be confident in what you do, and most important , be comfortable doing it.
    Peace !

Headspace and Wanderer90 like this.
  8. Star Lord

Star Lord Fapstronaut

This

Plus to OP and anyone reading...
    Your life is your own, people will ridicule you for certain hobbies or interests you have. But do you know why?
    Because they have no personality. They just blend in to the "norm" with typical boring interests.
    If you have an exotic hobby/interests, expand on it, after all it's a reflection of your personality.

StepsReborn and Wanderer90 like this.
  9. Islanders190

Islanders190 Fapstronaut

Thanks everyone for there replies it means alot. It's sad that I could even think that it can be somewhat not manly to write poetry or attend poetry events. Society has gotten to me and I need to stop being part of the norm and partake in my interests regardless of what others think or say

Headspace and Wanderer90 like this.
  10. letter

letter Distinguished Fapstronaut

My Journal
    Poetry is the art of excellent and sublime communication. It is a mark of intelligence, wit and imagination. Just because it has to do with feelings does not mean it cannot be masculine. As a man and poet myself, I encourage you to explore this.

HippyMinstrel and Wanderer90 like this.
  11. johnny e

johnny e Fapstronaut

Not only do I write poetry, I perform it and am a published poet.

Poetry seems to have had a renaissance over the last 20 years, what with slams and all.

My poems are on many subjects, including love.

Short love poems sounds a nice idea to me

letter likes this.
  12. Need to get back to poetry. Here's a poem I wrote when I was in college:

Painting

Birds descending into shrunken
    Scheduled
    Darkness

A hot
    Damp
    Thick
    Graham-cracker sensation
    Bellows in my tummy.

13. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Here's a sorrowful poem I wrote -

(MILD) TRIGGER WARNING:
    Grab her by the pussy,
    Grab him by the pussy,
    Grab them all by the pussy,
    I need to go to sleep,
    Quoth the Raven,
    Goddammit

14. johnny e

johnny e Fapstronaut

Deadlihood likes this.
  15. Son_of_Iroquois

Son_of_Iroquois Fapstronaut

I write poetry from time to time.
    Also this:

16. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Edgar Allen Poe and Donald Trump are different people?

Headspace likes this.
  17. johnny e

johnny e Fapstronaut

lol
    Quoth the Raven

18. Dizzy Lotus

Dizzy Lotus Fapstronaut

One of my male friends write poetry and he's really good at it.
    Okay, he might not be very masculine... but who cares? [​IMG]

19. Deadlihood

Deadlihood Fapstronaut

Quoth the Hillary, "Delete your account."

( :D )

20. Headspace

Headspace Fapstronaut

Here are two song lyrics I wrote in 2014 when I still tried to form a doom metal band. They are very metaphysical, and meditative to an extent, like prayers. They might sound despressed, but they're far brighter than most stuff in that genre. I'd say they're ambiguous/ambivalent :) English is not my native language, so the language might come across quite simple:

No pain can hurt me
    No thought can grieve me

For I just stand here
    And watch the world morph
    From one shape to another

And my knowledge is futile
    As the biggest mysteries
    Will remain buried
    Beneath the thickest soil

And someday my soul will vanish
    It will vanish in space and time
    And in a thousand years
    No one will remember my name
    The world's sounds
    Do not reach me anymore

Like stardust floating through space
    I found eternal peace

I rencounce everything
    I am becoming nothing
    The core of my soul

JohnDorian and Deleted Account like this.