Introvert but lonely

Discussion in 'Loneliness' started by Inloverber, Dec 20, 2020.

1. Inloverber

Inloverber Fapstronaut

I have always been an introvert my whole life and I am a socially awkward person. I tend to avoid meeting new people and never initiate conversations out of the fear of judgement. I really want to change and go out there to meet new people but my anxiety makes it so hard to talk to others. I will stutter, my arms will tremble, and I usually can't focus on the conversation. Does anyone else share the same problem? If so, how do you overcome this?

2. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

Interesting that you post on this site. Do you also happen to have any addictions you want to recover from?

3. scramento.bob95

scramento.bob95 Fapstronaut

I've had similar problems with having trouble initiating conversation and trying to meet new people. The thing that helps me out the most is remembering that majority of people understand it is difficult to meet new people and initiate conversations. What I do to when I'm trying to meet new people is first try to find out the things they like and try to find a common interest. If that doesn't work find something they are passionate in and ask them question about that. As for the social anxiety make small goals and small steps to achieve those goals. Hopefully this helps.

blacklabel92 likes this.
  4. iLoveRain

iLoveRain Fapstronaut

Have you ever considered/done some treatment ? It does help .
    You need to find the root cause of the anxiety.. and usually it's much easier to do that with the help of a doctor.

AngelofDarkness and blacklabel92 like this.
  5. Inloverber

Inloverber Fapstronaut

I don't have any of them.
    Thanks, It really helps me a lot. I appreciate it.

blacklabel92 likes this.
  6. ItsSeal

ItsSeal Fapstronaut

Maybe meet the people you already know (friends, family) more often, for example one time every week. This improves your social skills what makes it easier to communicate to other people. I also believe this is not the part where you should focus completely on. If you improve your life with positive habits, you automatic feel meer confident and happier what makes this problem maybe go away even unnoticed!

blacklabel92 likes this.
  7. JoeinUSA

JoeinUSA Fapstronaut

How do you find yourself here then?

blacklabel92 likes this.
  8. OttarrTheVendelCrow

OttarrTheVendelCrow Fapstronaut

I would highly recommend talking to a therapist as your anxiety seems to be impacting your quality of life. It can help a ton and you will see huge improvements.

AngelofDarkness and blacklabel92 like this.
  9. You are not alone. There are many people (including me) like you. I am used to live in my house only. I don't interact with people and don't know how to talk well with people. I am also an introvert.
    We should work hard for achieving something great so that people will be attracted towards us. They'll feel good to talk to us. They'll give respect too.
    I also feel that we need to meet a psychotherapist. They'll surely help.

blacklabel92 likes this.
  10. You are not alone with this problem. there are more than 7billion people in this world, if you have some problem then it is safe to assume that there are countless more like you.
    even i am very socially awkward person. I usually lie all day in my room alone and dont talk to anyone. But atleast i know the root cause of my anxiety is my low self esteem. and i am working on it.
    I find it encouraging when people post their problem on some platform. it shows that you want to improve and get rid of whatever is troubling you.

11. JLD

JLD Fapstronaut
    NoFap Defender

Improv and theater courses help a lot. But it's difficult now with Covid.

blacklabel92 and Free-man like this.
  12. Rosamund

Rosamund Fapstronaut

I think joining some online groups that discuss about different subjects like music or books or whatever you like, can help.

13. SREENII

SREENII Fapstronaut

i also had similar problems..i couldn't even smile at a person i randomly met and become nervous on seeing the relatives that i could not behave properly and my conversations get awkward and some of them shows sympathy while the others cruelly ignore me..later after completing the 1yr nofap journey i understood some facts regarding this which is really changing my life in a positive way
    TIP 1 : social anxiety becomes a 'real' problem when u take it as a serious issue..if u become overconscious about this problem, it will destroy u..in almost 90% cases, the social anxiety is a temporary condition and it can be eliminated as simple as pricking a flower

TIP 2 : if u want to change, it's easy..just go out for a walk or a bike ride every day.."but the purpose of going out should not be minding the people outside, u 'should not' mind anyone nor talk talk with any one, just focus on the ride.."try chewing bubble gum while going out, it will increase ur confidence"..i guarantee

TIP 3 : Understand the fact that every single human in this planet has some sort of social anxiety and fears..if u see the 'casual' interviews of celebrities or great leaders, they reveal it..u can see many of them have the problems that u and i face and they don't care or bother about their mistakes

TIP 4 :[ MOST IMPORTANT ] THIS TIP MAGICALLY CHANGED MY DAY TO DAY LIFE AND BOOSTED THE CONFIDENCE 10x ... "LAUGHTER EXERCISE" ..CREATE AN ARTIFICIAL LAUGHTER WHENEVER U ARE FREE AND PRACTICE IT FREQUENTLY..TRUST ME IT WILL SOLVE ALL THE DEPRESSION AND ANXIETY ISSUES AND REJUVENATE UR BRAIN..HERE U ARE ACTUALLY FOOLING UR BRAIN AND MAKING IT FEEL THAT YOU ARE HAPPY AND IT WILL MANIFEST IN YOUR REAL LIFE SITUATIONS..U WILL BEGIN TO TAKE EVERYTHING IN A POSITIVE FUNNY WAY AND BOOST UR SELF TO AN ALPHA LEVEL

14. rockbella61

rockbella61 New Fapstronaut

I am like you.
    The symptoms get worse when my career is failing. The low self esteem and being an introvert is one way ticket to any cellar.

I think you need to discover what you like to do, what you are at good at. Basically your passion. Gain confidence from that. Find friends or communities that share your interest.

The passion will overcome being an introvert. People will admire you for your passion. Making friends or conversation would not be that difficult any more.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2020
    blacklabel92, Rosamund and Free-man like this.
  15. blacklabel92

blacklabel92 Fapstronaut

Same, ive been a shy nervous wreck all my life aswell.. I would hate giving presentations in school, my voice would shake, along with my body. No bueno my friend. Also meeting new people aswell, i feel like it all came from pmo. I started at a young age and never stopped.. Its really a silent addiction that noone really notices but its detrimental to your body and mind at the end of the day.

AngelofDarkness likes this.
  16. fapequalsdeath

fapequalsdeath Fapstronaut

There is no easy answer to this but you can start by acknowledging that you had a bad childhood and that you couldn't do anyhting about it as a child. However NOW as an adult you can and you must take ownership of that. I was terrified with speaking to the cashier lady when little but I overcame it. Serving customers also helped me a littler bit. But that's professional talk. You must work on the personal talk with others. Gonna be hard in this pandemic but try to find on activities you like - hiking,cooking,dancing etc. and chat them up[ and ask them if they want to hang out. That's how I would do it but obviously I know it's hard since I also have issues.

blacklabel92 likes this.
  17. Inloverber

Inloverber Fapstronaut

I am atleast glad that someone can relate to me. I thought of sending you this article I read last night, that somewhat made me feel a lil better. https://www.topuniversities.com/stu...l-how-overcome-covid-19-loneliness-university

18. Inloverber

Inloverber Fapstronaut

I guess you are right that meeting new people is first try to find out the things they like and try to find a common interest.

blacklabel92 likes this.
  19. TheJetDude44

TheJetDude44 Fapstronaut

Watch this video about social anxiety by Jordan Peterson, it really helped me improve in my daily interactions. Also try meditating and running i've found that its helped a lot. You don't have to be very interesting or wealthy to make friends, simple conversation can go a long way for cultivating friendships.

20. AnthonyAsher

AnthonyAsher Fapstronaut

Try to meditate and really find what makes you lonely.

blacklabel92 likes this.