Tips on asking a girl out?

Discussion in 'Dating during a Reboot' started by Deleted Account, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Hey everyone
    PMO had destroyed my confidence in asking anyone out, now that I'm going on for 40 days of nofap, I want to get into a meaningful relationship.
    I have not been in a relationship till now and I didn't have the confidence to ask anyone out but now I have the confidence to ask someone out (benefit of nofap) and get into a relationship.
    Any tips?

Marshall 5 likes this.
  2. Anakin66

Anakin66 Fapstronaut

Don't let the fear of rejection get in your way.
    That's one way to build confidence, to experience failure and to learn from your mistakes.
    At the same time, work on yourself. Know your strengths and weaknesses and work with them. You can build confidence through improvement. Women are attracted to men who have some order in their life.

I suggest you set some goals. Converse with both and women to help with the fear of approaching a stranger. And go for it, you will fail, but you will start improving too.

3. MrYang29

MrYang29 Fapstronaut

don't ask too many questions before you meet her. On the first date, just ask her to grab some coffee or drink. don't go to the cinema or dinner. On the second date, you can do it.

4. Stream07

Stream07 Fapstronaut

I recommend u wait for ur 90 days to finish before approaching anyone, 'cause it will help ur confidence, etc. But beside what @Anakin66 and @MrYang29 said u can get to know the girl before asking her on a date, thus reduceing the chance of rejection. And don't assume all girls are perfect. I bet there will be lots of cases where u r the one not willing to go to another date with that girl.

Hustlerr and Deleted Account like this.
  5. MrYang29

MrYang29 Fapstronaut

get to know her too much online before you met her? it just makes her turn off and dump you.

Deleted Account likes this.
  6. PIEDSufferer

PIEDSufferer Fapstronaut

I guess the most helpful tip I can give to someone in your situation is to take it slow and casual. If it’s going to be your first experience in the dating world, it’s very easy to take it too seriously too soon. Be careful you don’t become too obsessed with someone right off the bat, because it could lead to smother and potential heartache. Don’t make that subconscious assumption that the first person you enter into a relationship with is the one you’ll marry. It takes time, patience, and communication to really learn a person and connect with them. And be YOURSELF! I can’t say that enough. Obviously, you’ll want to be your BEST self to attract a woman. But don’t try too hard to offer her someone that you’re not.

7. Stream07

Stream07 Fapstronaut

Depends on ur skills. If are a boring person she will eventually dump u. I prefer not to waste my time out with someone just hoping she will the right one for me. Instead I take my time(much less) to see if she is worth it. And that has worked for me so far.

8. Thanks bud
    Could you explain what do you mean by goals?

Hustlerr likes this.
  9. Hahaha yeah maybe I should but if I'm feeling good about myself do you reckon it'd be safe to approach someone?

Hustlerr likes this.
  10. How long do you suggest I wait for until making a move assuming everything's going on well?

Hustlerr likes this.
  11. MrYang29

MrYang29 Fapstronaut

for me, when i know she responds my first message positively, just send a fun question or statement that can make her more talk-active, and after 3-4 times exchanging messages, i ask her out to a coffeeshop (local coffeeshop/st*rb**ks). 1 hour is enough

it'll be different approach if you already know her a little bit in real life before (school, collage), at least you both ever had a fun/interesting convo.

12. Stream07

Stream07 Fapstronaut

It's not about feeling good. It's about getting rid of the addiction. If u think u can manage that, go on.

13. Stream07

Stream07 Fapstronaut

These things depend on the culture of the country u live in. I usually don't rush into seeing the girl. But in your country it might be different.

Deleted Account likes this.
  14. SpacePunk

SpacePunk Fapstronaut

Ask them out not expecting a yes or no, ask them out because you're scared and you want to conquer fear. Even if they say no you're still going to be happy because you did what you were scared to do.

PIEDSufferer and Deleted Account like this.
  15. Sure will try that
    Thanks a lot man

16. Yep I understand your point
    Thanks mate :)

Stream07 likes this.
  17. Yes I realized that if I always live in the fear of rejection, I wouldn't have a chance to grow
    Thanks bud

SpacePunk likes this.
  18. PIEDSufferer

PIEDSufferer Fapstronaut

The main thing here is to let things happen naturally. Every relationship, whether it’s a short term or long term one, will have it’s own unique timeline of unique events. Don’t go in with too much expectations. From my experience, expectations promote fear. Think about what we’re fearing: We fear rejection. In other words, we are afraid that something is not going to go our way, right? So challenge that by not having a “way,” so to speak. Just find someone that you share a mutual attraction with, and build on it however it happens.

Best of luck!

Stream07 likes this.
  19. elevate

elevate Fapstronaut

Meet people halfway. Express your interest. Invite people to an interaction or a date. The rest is up to them.

That's doing your best.

The problem is when people try to do more than their best. They try to control the natural outcome. They try to seek guarantees in a reality where there is none. Which leads to procrastination and perfectionism. Looking for the perfect thing to say or do before taking any action. Which leads to things like manipulation / convincing / censoring / forcing / needing / hiding / chasing / forcing. Finding ways to feel invincible before doing anything. Then when you finally take a risk... it might succeed, but that only reinforces your thoughts / feelings / beliefs / behavior in the direction of being paranoid and controlling. It might fail, which hurts you more than it should because you've procrastinated and perfectionist it to death.

The reality is that you have very little control. People are unpredictable. A random person with different interests / upbringing / past experiences is an uncertainty when it comes to being interested in you. You're going to be very good with people who are interested in who you are and very bad with people who aren't interested in who you are. If you act like somebody that you aren't for the sake of convincing someone that isn't interested in who you really are, then you'll reinforce a life of paranoia and control in order to constantly convince someone who isn't interested in who you really are to stay with a fake version of you. Which leads to resentment and to an inevitable toxic relationship where both of you are playing games with each other.

Meet people halfway. Express yourself honestly from the beginning. Accept that not everyone is going to be interested in you and that you're not going to be interested in everyone. This is a lot harder in the short run, but very rewarding in the long run. The toxic behaviors I mentioned above is very easy in the short run, but absolutely destructive in the long run.

It's not about acquiring a number / date / relationship / sex. It's about interacting with someone and seeing if both of you are willing to expand it.

If you're not so concerned with controlling the outcome, then you have more energy and focus to expressing yourself in the present moment. Allow the other person the opportunity to reject or accept you.

Deleted Account and Stream07 like this.
  20. Remember that you only need one person. Even if 100 say no, if 1 says yes and you fall in love with that 1 and everything goes well, the other 100 don't matter.

Also remember that rejection is NOT a reflection of you and your own worth.

Thought Experiment:
    Think about the types of girls you like, the types of people you like to be around.

Let's say for example, you're really into sports. And let's say a girl asks you out and she's really nice and pretty, a fine person, but you know she really hates sports, and you feel you wouldn't be able to share something with her that is important to you. So you reject her offer for a date.

Does that mean there is something wrong with that girl? Of course not! She just wasn't a good match for you, but she might be a great partner for someone else.

Apply that same logic to yourself. If someone rejects your offer, or even if you go on a date and they say they didn't feel anything and don't want a second date, that doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you. It doesn't even mean you need to change anything, or take that as an opportunity to "grow" in some way. It might mean that, but it also migh just mean that you weren't her cup of tea, but you might be someone else's favorite flavor.

Whenever I talk about this I think of this guy I dated in college.

Man, this guy was something else. He was so unique and charming and fun. I've honestly never met anyone like him before or since. He's completely one of a kind.

But... he wasn't for me. There was just something about his personality that didn't mesh well with mine, and I was honestly terrified that if I broke up with him, he would think there is something wrong with him or something he needed to change, and I did NOT want that! I wanted that great, special man to be exactly the man he was, and to go find the lovely lady out there who would appreciate every little bit of his uniqueness.

And that's what happened. He's married with several kiddos now, and I'm sure he's much happier with her than he ever would have been with me, because I couldn't fully appreciate him the way he deserved. But I didn't want him to change himself for me, I wanted him to be himself and find someone better suited for him. Sometimes breaking up with someone, or being broken up with, is actually a kindness. It's better to be dumped than to have someone try to change you into the kind of person they are actually looking for.

Anyway, people are like puzzle pieces sometimes. Certain ones just don't fit together. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the piece, or the need to change. They just need to find the spot where they belong, so they can be themsleves and fit nicely.

I cannot stress enough the important of being yourself. If you're looking for something long term, you can NOT keep being someone else for the rest or your life. So you might as well just be yourself from the beginning and not waste your time with anyone who doesn't like the person you are. Find someone else who does.

Hope that helps!

PIEDSufferer and Deleted Account like this.