The No Screen Challenge

Discussion in 'Events & Challenges' started by Deleted Account, Jul 28, 2018.

1. Philosophical_Dad

Philosophical_Dad Fapstronaut

2. TangoTao

TangoTao Fapstronaut

3. I had many resets and I lost the counting. Recently every reset was because I was on this forum in the nights ... shows me how good it would be to get some distance - without hurting my recovery process of course.

It was good I did this Challenge for a while. Now the 9:30 pm sleeping time has become a rule to me.
    I leave now. Much success to everyone else here! See ya!

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!

Force Majeure likes this.
  4. 12/30, unfortunately I had a very hard time to sleep yesterday, so very tired.

5. 5/14

I've noticed that it's hard for my sleeping rhythm to change naturally. Therefore, I've been trying to set a bit earlier alarm. But today I slept for three extra hours!

6. DimovBG

DimovBG Fapstronaut

Ok guys I am in for that.
    My plan is to not use any screens after 8 pm. and before 9:30 am.

7. Philosophical_Dad

8. Philosophical_Dad

Slight change to my rules:

No Screens Challenge

No screens

A. after 6 p.m. or

unless:

1. it's to meet a next-day deadline that was set by someone else or that I set before 6 p.m.,

2. it's for a legitimate, in-person social purpose, such as watching a show or movie that my friend or wife suggested we watch,

3. it's video chatting with a close friend or relative,

4. it's looking up directions in Google Maps,

5. it's using Instacart to order groceries or track a grocery delivery, or

6. it’s looking at a “challenge” or “Time Block” Google Doc.
    If I use a screen after 6 p.m. for any of the above purposes, then I can use screens only to advance these purposes. I may not open tabs, windows, or apps that do not contribute to the purpose for which I'm using the screen. For example, if I'm working to meet a deadline, every tab, window, or app I open must help me meet this deadline.

And no screens

B. after 4:30 a.m. until I'm fully dressed and prepared to leave the house with my daughter

unless:

1. I'm not taking my daughter on our morning jaunt that day,

2. It's to check the weather,

3. It's to check whether something's open,
    4. It's to check a "challenge" or "Time block" Google Doc,
    5. It's an emergency, or
    6. It's to check Google Maps.
    If I use a screen after 4:30 a.m. for any of the above purposes, then I can use screens only to advance these purposes. I may not open tabs, windows, or apps that do not contribute to the purpose for which I'm using the screen.

TangoTao likes this.
  9. 0/30, bummer. I’ve been working too late in the evenings and my head has had a hard time stop thinking.

I’ve just decided to do a mental detox. I have realised I have way too many things around me that waits for me to work on them, which essentially leads me to work a little bit on every piece, which in turn leads me to not get anywhere, since I’m not focused enough on the same thing. I need to think about what my life goals are and reduce the number of potential distractions. After this mental detox, what I want to achieve is to have a small set of projects I can work on, which all share a common theme.

10. Philosophical_Dad

Really interesting! Good luck!

As I read this, I realized I'm dealing with a similar problem. Lately, I've tried "smart goals" and used those to "time-box." I haven't been doing this for long but so far it's seemed helpful.

4/30

11. Philosophical_Dad

12. TangoTao

TangoTao Fapstronaut

I noticed that progressivly i'm more interested in creating rather then consuming things/content, i used to be able to watch videos and anime series for hours,but now i cannot do 15 minutes - before something inside me tells me ... "Hey we are wasting time here, we are not producing anything!"
    13/30